Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Fellas; In going to my many gun shows, I sometime bring home an old box of ammo. Being bored today, I opened that ammo can. I have about 25 boxes of various calibers. In searching the forum' I have been unable to find a thread on the age, value or weather they are collectable or not. Is there such a thread on the forum? If not, I am hoping some of you box collectors can help out here. I believe I have seen a post from Bud, that he and his son collect them. I will post 4 photos with the forth one being the end flaps of the first 3 pics. The left stack for photo one, etc... Some are not in great condition, but all except the .45 Colt box have all of their little friends inside...The .45 Colt box does have the casings inside. Tom

Box Auto part Packaging and labeling Label
Snack
Food Ingredient
Product Snack Box

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
First off - 'any' clean cartridge boxes can be collectible - the big problem is in ascribing an honest value, since there's no really accurate reference on them.

Ebay and Gunbroker often offer them - check and see what they're offered for, and 'if' they sell.

Old copies of the 'American Rifleman' - and I mean 'old' copies, and nothing since the 1970s - have ads that will help you date them - so will other magazines - look at the end papers.

The ones pictures present as 'well-worn', so values will be on the low side.

An auction house called 'Sold USA!' used to put out catalogs describing boxes from different eras - it was done in a newspaper format, and while I never saw stuff actually sell, reference photos are reference photos...

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
There is a book entitled "One Hundred Years of Winchester Cartridge Boxes 1856-1956" by Ray T. Giles & Daniel L. Shuey that is an excellent guide to Winchester cartridge boxes, and it has a price guide.

I have recently started to seek out cartridge boxes, as it gives you something to do when there are no interesting guns at a show.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Picture1 - the Remington boxes on the bottom row and the one in the middle row are from 1946-1960. The Remington box on the top row is from 1964-1973.

Picture2 - Remington box bottom row on the left is 1964-1973, the center box is from 1946-1960. Remington box top row center is 1946-1960 and the top row right box is 1964-1973.

Picture3 - Remington box bottom row right side is 1961. Remington box top row at left is 1964-1973.

I can probably date the Winchester Western boxes for you later but I have to take a break for dinner. If somebody else doesn't respond I'll try to get you those dates, too.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Mike Irwin at The Firing Line helped me figure out that this box of Peters .41 short RF (which is full, by the way) dates from about 1934-35.

Here are some other full and partial old boxes of ammo I purchased lately from an elderly relative.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks fella's, JohnnyP; I will look for that book & Malysh, you sure know your boxes. By the way, your's are all in better condition then mine. Good news is that all are full and I have some of the calibers already(35rem. / .32-20, etc.). Should be fun learning about these boxes....

Tom

·
Registered
893 Posts
Any chance anybody would part with a full box of vintage standard velocity .22lr. I need a box for my 1952 Woodsman Match Target 2nd Series to put in my presentation case, Ideally? a green box of Remington.
Thanks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have several old boxes some with ammo in them and some empty. I have purchased all of them off Auction Arms. I was thinking of shrink wrapping the boxes to protect them, but I don't know if that is a good idea are not. Plan to purchase more in the future to build upon my collection.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Previous to Obama's election and the Great Ammo Shortage And Inflation Act of 2008 I used to buy older boxes of ammo at shooter prices. Certainly some types were expensive and collectible even several years ago, but I bought 50's through 60's era Western brand and green box Remington ammo in .38 Special for $5-$6 per box,
1940's era Peters .380 for around $10. Winchester red/yellow/blue box .38's for about the same, and the Rem-UMC "dogbone" .22, Western Super Match and other 1930's-40's era .22 ammo for around $10 per box. It was mainly to use as photo props although I have fired some just to see how it performed. But rising prices has put most of that era ammo into collector price ranges. Even WWII .45 hardball was sold for not much more than new production hardball. The good ol' days.....

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
I have a dozen or more old paper boxes of old ammo but here is a wood case for .22 short ammo I picked up last summer at the local flea. Dating these can be tough but in this case, someone told me that the dots before and after the "Super" in the logo suggests this is from the late 30's early 40's.
On an unrelated topic, I find it kind of humorous when the media harps on people who supposedly have "huge stockpiles" of ammo. This box is fairly small but yet it holds 10,000 rounds. Hardly an unwarranted and over-the-top quantity of ammo! Kim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.