Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help and a memory jump start please... When I was around 10 or 11 (@1962-'63) I had a really neat cap gun musket. I think it was modeled after the 1858 Springfield as there was a lot of interest in the Civil War then. It was a single shot and used the Mattel Greenies Stik-M Caps and if you stuck 3 or 4 (or more) on it could get pretty loud. I seem to recall you put the caps on what looked like a flash pan. It had a wooden stock and was part of a set which included a single shot pistol (also a replica black powder). There is was a Mattel Rolling Block cap rifle but that isn't it. I can't find anything on Google or EBay so I wanted to ask if anyone here remembers these cap guns?

·
Registered
9,183 Posts
I 'think' that it was the 'Davy Crockett' rifle, but have no idea who made it.

There were a number of cap guns in the '60's that fired the 'Greenie Stick-Em Cap' that were sort of 'cartridge' guns - the cap being loaded into the case, with the ostensible hollow projectile on top - loading was like that of loading an actual round, and when fired, the cap flash went through the nose and seemed as though it actually fired, because of the flash and noise.

There were others that the cap was applied to the back of the case, and the projectile was a spring-loaded grey round that clipped into the case.

Hell, the little diecast cannons from Britains, Crescent, and Premier could fire a metal 'round' as well as the cap - Ohio 'Blue Tip' matches - properly trimmed - made an great load, if concrete was anywhere nearby upon impact...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I remember.... it was some sort of a Civil War musket. I got it around the time that Santa brought me a set of "Blue and Gray" toy soldiers to set up battles with. As I am a child of parents from Alabama and Virginia the "Gray" side always won.The stock was plain wood with no embellishments. The stick-m cap was placed on where we would put the percussion cap. And like I said, you could put up to four Greenies and get a pretty loud report. Five caps would not fire as the hammer wouldn't have enough travel to detonate the caps and would just bounce.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I think the one you're looking for was made by Kadet, (Paris) Savanna Tenn. Check flea-bay, they have one on there that's in need of some care. They may still sell these things new along with the pressed paper hats at various gift shops near Civil War battlefields.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
In the late 50's or early 60's, I had a Davy Crockett longrifle bought at the Alamo Gift Shop. I even got the coon skin cap and polyester(?) buckskin outfit just like Davy wore at the Alamo. We played Alamo quite a lot and, of course the Texans always won. My brother and I also had the single shot pistols, too.
Sometime later I had another Parris rifle that was bolt-action and looked like an 03A3. Sure burned up a lot of caps with those things!
Its been several years since I've been to the ALamo Gift Shop but I think they still sell Ol' Betsy.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Well, I looked way back into a closet and I think I found an example of what you're looking for. While this one was not carried in that War, it did see hard use in various backyard conflicts. It even has what appears to be a battlefield repair to the lock. One screw doesn't match the other, but it's still functional! If my memory is correct I believe this musket came with little cork musket balls.
IMG_1746.JPG
IMG_1745.JPG
IMG_1743.JPG

·
Registered
9,183 Posts
It 'did' come with a small bag of cork musket balls!

As I mentioned above - 'when I was a boy' pretty much 'everything' could fire something, and those days were glorious, long-lasting and sunny, with garden hoses everywhere to drink from.

Today, we'd all be confined to a Youth Facility...

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts
Sometime later I had another Parris rifle that was bolt-action and looked like an 03A3. Sure burned up a lot of caps with those things!
I've got that 03A3 as well. I never did have that long 'Davy Crockett' rifle, as I recall, when i was a kid I wanted a toy rifle and my step dad carved one out of wood. I carried that thing a horseback with my Davy Crockett coonskin cap, real buckskin jacket and cowhorn 'powder horn'. I wanted nothing more than to be a mountain man in those days. Even found some smaller rusty traps in my grandpa's barn and slung those around as well. Oh, I even had a real beaver pelt that my uncle gave me (he was kinda a mountain man). Anyway, I was the best equiped kid around. Wish I knew where that wooden rifle was... I have every thing else still.

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts
It 'did' come with a small bag of cork musket balls!

As I mentioned above - 'when I was a boy' pretty much 'everything' could fire something, and those days were glorious, long-lasting and sunny, with garden hoses everywhere to drink from.

Today, we'd all be confined to a Youth Facility...
I've still got an old Benjamin air rifle of grandpa's or my uncle. Anyway, those were pretty powerful for the time, and still are. I would shoot anything I could drop down the bbl. Sand, gravel, even mustard seed. A poor kids shotgun.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I remember very well my cork ball shooting muzzle loader. ( I was Jeremiah Johnson) Then we moved up to Daisy 880s or Crossman 760. My buddies and I debated which "BB" gun was better. I had the Daisy. I just realized something never change. Been B-Sing about guns for a long time now.
I have always said little boys like, guns, cars and boobs. Then they grow up and like , guns, cars and boobs... I guess nothing really changes hehehe

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
That last paragraph nailed it...so true.

Reactions: MarkInTx

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Mattel made the 1894 Winchester, I had one that shot the grey plastic bullets , lever action worked with 10 rounds and green stickems . Many a foe fell to those plastic bullets all led to my fascination with guns and cartridges.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I had the Mattel Winchester too and their rolling block. Both shot the "Shootin' Shell". I never realized back then that every time I stuffed one of those little grey plastic bullets into that spring-loaded ctg case I was at the beginning of my reloading adventures!
I just looked up the Shootin' Shells on Ebay and holy cow! Given the asking prices I wish I still had mine!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I see a lot of percussion cap guns here. I had a Thompson, had a crank on the side to go full auto with cap rolls. Bit of a difference in arms selection between us even at that young age. I guess that's Chicago living. Loved the Untouchables.

KNO3

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
There is a movie called Abraham Lincoln vs, Zombies. Very low budget and campy with a ridiculous plot. Some of the characters are armed with rifles like the original poster mentioned, especially young Teddy Roosevelt. Since it was filmed at Fort Pulaski, I got the feeling they came from the fort's gift shop.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts