Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at various auctions for a set of 1950's vintage Python grips. I've noticed a couple of things. There seem to be different woods that the grips are made from. Either Walnut or Cocabola wood. Which of these is original for a 1950's Python?? Second thing is that some grips come with silver medallions and others with gold. Again, which of these is original for the early guns? Could a 1950's Python have been delivered with silver medallions and Cocabola wood grips?? Appreciate your comments and insight. Thanks!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,904 Posts
Unless it was on a special order Custom Shop gun, Colt never used cocobolo wood for grips.
Colt always used American Walnut.

From the 1930's to the 1955 Python, Colt used only Silver medallions on all guns.

Starting in 1955 Gold was used on only the Python, up until sometime in the 1960's when Gold began to be used on other models.

Colt "more or less" followed the standard of using Silver medallions on less expensive guns, and Gold only on premium guns.

Sometime in the early 1960's, you began to see Gold medallions used on better quality guns like the Detective Special, Diamondback, and Officer's Model Match.

Silver was used on less expensive guns like the Official Police and Trooper.

At some indeterminate time, Colt began using Gold on everything.

However, Gold was always used on the Python, except for some later production guns, usually stainless steel with rubber grips, that occasionally had Silver medallions.

To sum up, a 1950's Python would have American walnut grips with Gold medallions.

The "correct grips, (depending on the year) would have either the fully checkered First type grips, or a later 50's-early 60's gun would have the Second type grips.

Colt never used cocobolo on production guns.

Here's a First type Colt Target grip:

Here's a Second type grip:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dfariswheel....thanks for the detail and information! I have a 1956 Colt Python and have been looking for some grips. I was wondering what the exact, original grips looked like that came on the gun. It sounds like the full checkered with gold medallions made of walnut. From the folks I've talked to, this grip is pretty rare so this will give me something to search for during my trips to the local gun shows. Again, thanks for the info!

·
Registered
586 Posts
You should also consider contacting Gary at [email protected]
He has an extensive array of original Colt grips and I got a nice, correct set in new condition for my 1961 Python a few months ago in Jacksonville. Regards, Bill

·
Registered
586 Posts
Yes, they cost $120 which, for me, was a reasonable price for original "as new" grips. This was comparable or possibly a little lower in cost from my comparison of prices I had seen on the internet. Plus, I got to see them in person and mounted on the Python. Bill

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
I sent you a PM, but it doesn't show on my "My Home" page. Did you receive one? Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts