Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello together!

How are you and what are you working on right now?

I'm on vacation at the moment... And found finally the time to think about my first generation Detective Special in .38 spl. which I'm going to buy in the near future... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I also thought about the fitting VINTAGE 1920's/30's shoulder holster for that real "Eliot Ness style"... Maybe George Lawrence? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Anybody knows what was the fitting Lawrence holster around 1927 for the first generation D. S.?

Many thanks for your help!

Best wishes,
Eliot

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Eliot,ya gonna be able to buy that D.S. in Bavaria?? Just finished sizing "a few" 115 gr. 32/20 bullets down to .311 for a little experiment I am working on.

Lawrence listed a #6 Holster,as their shoulder holster,WITHOUT the safety strap. Heiser was another big maker then!

Could NEVER see carrying a 2" snub in a shoulder holster;belt either regular or cross draw is fine. Don't really know if Ness and his "boys" were issued the D.S. snubs?? IF they still carried S&W M&Ps,or Colt Army Special/Official Police. 38 Specials in the 20's/30's,they probably would have worn shoulder holsters,due to longer barrels /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

It is NOT that I don't like shoulder holsters-I do-for heavier guns,like my "carry gun". This is a 5" early model S&W M-610,and weighs 3 plus pounds!

These vintage holsters are getting very expensive,just look at eBay!! And sometimes the photos(or sellers description!!!) do not reveal the TRUE condition of the leather and/or harness.

Good Luck,hope you find nice examples of the earliest Detective Special(should be a square butt) and some vintage leather to carry it in.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
938 Posts
Here are 2 Heiser holsters for a DS,both probably pre-WW II vintage,& a Lawrence holster from the 1920's-30's.The plain Heiser is a model 125 "Half-breed" spring shoulder holster;it is etched "DS" on the rear.It was in the Heiser line since at least the late 1910's.The carved one is a model 225.The Lawrence holster is a model 33 & is for a 2" Official Police;it has the early Lawrence "Football" shaped logo & is a model that was dropped from the line by the late 1930's-it does not appear in my 1940 catalog.The lawrence holsters will have a stamp identifying what pistol the holster was made for-early ones will have something like "DS" or Colt DS"(Lawrence used a group numbering system in the 1940's-50's & a 3 digit size number after 1963 or so).The Heiser holster may or may not have "DS" or similar etched on the rear-some makers at Heiser routinely etched information on the rear & some did not.Ebay is your best bet for finding a vintage shoulder holster-they don't always command the same prices as belt models;diligent searching should yield results.Good hunting.
Regards,
John Witty

·
Registered
938 Posts
This is the cover of Heiser's number 20 catalog-my copy is dated 1928.That's the model 125 "half-breed" shoulder holster the tough guy is wearing.
Regards,
John Witty

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
as always very nice leather john,sure wished you lived closer /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif original poster: that would be an easy one to duplicate IF you could get the correctly shaped spring clip that retains the gun.might keep that in mind should you get a ratty example for cheap. dux

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello Bud, John and Dux!

Many thanks for your replies! Huh, that are cool holsters! Aren't they? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I'm not sure where I should buy my D. S., but in my rifle club I'm in touch with some bright guys - they could help me finding the "right" thing if the "right" time has come. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I think the Prohibition Agents of Ness' special detail could chose if or what kind of gun they want to carry. Many .38 revolvers were issued. Ness described his own sidearm as a "snub-nosed .38 Colt" (in all probability, it was the Detective Special - and he carried it in a shoulder holster according to "The Untouchables"). Another of Ness' fellow agents for example (a WW I veteran and ex-marine) carried a .45 Smith & Wesson (I suppose the M 1917?) in his shoulder holster...

Summarized I would say something between a Lawrence # 6 and a Heiser 125 "Half-breed" would be perfect... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thank you again!

Best wishes,
Eliot

1 - 6 of 6 Posts