Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Im new to the forum and this is my first post. I know there are people on here that have a lot of knowledge on this gun. I am new to the world of collecting and am trying to collect the colt snake revolvers. I currently own a king cobra .357 and have a opportunity to buy a "viper". My question is this, what do I look for to verify if this thing is fake or not? The serial number is 65433r but when i look it up on colts website it comes back as built in 1978. I know they were only built in 1977. Does this mean its not a true viper? Thanks for any help anyone might be able to give. By the way it definitely has some wear to it and it does not have a box. I can buy it for $1000, is that too much? Sorry for all of the questions, thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I happen to own Viper serial number 61XXXR, which has been lettered as being shipped in March of 1978. I recognize 1977-1978 as the production time frame for the first series Viper. The second series was a short run of blued Vipers in about 1993. In all probability, the Viper you are looking at is legitimate, however I have heard stories of Cobra frames being mated with Viper barrels (from Numrich - https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/261830.htm) and being marketed as Vipers. The only way to be 100% certain, is to order a Colt Archives Letter on the gun.

As for value, I am sure there are others that can join the discussion and help you.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The price tag in the pic says 1799.00.
yes, its at a pawn shop that i frequent and have bought many guns from. i am friends with the owner and he knows im into colt revolvers. that is my price, everyone else he said he would do $1500 on it. i have it on layaway there now, just wanted to verify value and authenticity.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Since you are learning about Vipers, you should know that the stocks on the one you are buying, are genuine Viper stocks in like new condition. This is important due to the scarcity and value of these stocks ($250 to $300 if you can find them in new condition). The stocks are an elongated version of Colt D frame stocks found of Detective Specials of that time period.

Great find!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts