Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a viper but do not have the correct wood grips for it. Can you tell me what other colt grips will interchange with the viper. The orginal wood viper grips are hard to find and harder to pay for. Thanks

·
Registered
210 Posts
The Viper is a D frame Colt. Other D frames are:

Police Positive
Police Positive Special
Commando
Diamondback
Detective Special
Agent
Cobra

There may be more.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,091 Posts
The Viper took a special grip.

While it looks just like the "Combat" grips used on the post-1972 Colt "D" frame revolvers, the butt was longer to more suit the longer Viper barrel.
While the standard combat "D" frame grip will fit the Viper, they won't be long enough.

Here's the standard Colt post-1972 walnut Combat grip. The Viper grip will be longer on the bottom:

If you watch Ebay, genuine Viper grips show up once in a while. These are typically listed as standard Detective Special grips, but if you're paying attention, you'll note that they are slightly longer.
You can also post a "Wanted" ad on this forums Classified section.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
There is another, rather subtle difference between DS and genuine Viper Grips ....

note in this > borrowed photo that not only are they longer, but they lack the routed border around the checkering.

hth ~

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
The lack of border around the checking is a temporal thing not a model difference. Even the later DS stocks were minus that. The Commando that was a D frame was the 80s Commando Special. The original Commando was, of course, an E frame. :cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
y2kdon Unless you know for certain those grips were changed don't be so sure those grips on the nickle gun are incorrect. Please see my reply with pictures in the "Colt Insanity" thread of my factory new nickle viper with those style grips. It is exactly like those on the $5800 nickle viper that just sold on gun broker. Yours may well be the third nickle gun to come to light with that style factory grips.

·
Registered
538 Posts
When I bought the nickle viper (used, no box) it had a set of black rubber grips like came on the commando special. see picture below. I bought those that are shown above off ebay and put them on it. Havent run a across a deal on the correct ones yet.
Colt Viper 036.jpg

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
True Viper stocks are not easy to find, especially in excellent condition, but they are out there. As noted above I was searching GB and Flea-bay for months before I found mine being listed simply as Detective Special Grips. I only paid $35 - a steal in my opinion.

The nickel gun has the these stocks...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts