Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the same gun show where I picked up the Agent mentioned in the post above, I picked up a very sad Viper.

This was truely the dirtiest revolver that I've ever seen. It's badly worn, has some dings, and someone actually thought that the hammer would look better with some cold blue smeared on the sides (without dissasembling it...)

But -- It's the only viper I've ever seen and for $200 I wanted it!

Serial number is 74563 R

In short, she was carried a lot, dropped at least once, shot very little, and never cleaned.

Sorry about the pics.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
It's not so sad in your photos. The price is definitely right. I'd have snapped it up. I'm glad it's gone to a home that will feed and care for it properly. "You done good"!

A little Kroil and a bronze brush will safely rid the hammer of that wretched cold blue.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bmcgilvray,

The pictures are better than the gun. Lot's of wear on the muzzle, trigger guard, and all high points.

I agree about the cold blue, but I thought the pictures (which actually look better than the gun...) should show it as it was. The cold blue was done without removing the hammer and I should have shot a picture with the side plate off because it looks like it was done with a mop.

I first soaked it in WD-40 (twice) scrubbed the cylinders, removed the side plate and blew it out. Then soaked it in Break Free (twice)scrubbed and blew it out.

I know these are rare Colt's and I couldn't walk away from it despite it's condition.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
You should be commended for doing the honorable thing. Theres nothing wrong with a good $200 Colt .38 Special.

My gun collection is trash and treasures so it'd fit in here.

I love the .38 Special. It's always been a lucky cartridge for me.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
WD-40 is generally not recommended because it is considered a rust remover and the claim is that it will remove bluing as that is a controlled oxidation. Kroil, specific gun cleaning solvents or even brake cleaner are recommended. I hate to start the refinish debate and don't even know if Colt will do the alloy frames, but at the price and considering there is little need for buffing out flaws, a refinish might be a worthy consideration. It might turn out like JLundy's Trooper. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Re: Viper with Cobra grips

I believe your Viper had longer grips originally. See if they are numbered to the frame. Mike

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Viper with Cobra grips

smkummer,

The stocks are not numbered to the gun. In fact, they're not numbered at all.

I did a search and found a picture of the Viper in someone's collection and it definately had different, longer stocks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A1A,

I don't know if Colt will refinish alloy guns but I know for sure that S&W will not because I asked them about a well worn Model 12 that saw many years of service in the Arizona Department of Public Safety (Highway Patrol).

They said they wouldn't do it for risk of cracking the frame when they unscrew the barrel - and that was with a pinned barrel...

·
Registered
400 Posts
It is my understanding, although I haven't spoke to Colt directly about this, that Colt abruptly stopped working on alloy framed Cobra's about 6 to 8 months ago. I think that maybe Dr D had that posted somewhere here and Grant Cunningham on his website had the same information. Ford's Custom has been recommended to me by those in the know for refinishing the aluminum framed revolvers in leau of Colt.

Dave

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Fords definitely anodizes alloy and blues steel, but it's not a for sure to me that they can separate the two successfully in the case of Colt revolvers. They would have to be asked. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I'm so pitiful that I'd probably leave it like it is and smuggly think of the $200 investment. As I always say, my collection is trash and treasures and I am quite fond of some of the trash.

You did say it looks worse in life than in the photo.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I've been looking for a shootable grade Viper for a long time. I wouldn't do a thing you already haven't done. I'd just take it to the range and shoot the heck out of it. Okay I'd probably not shoot anything much more than mid-range wadcutters. I think you've got a GREAT find.
Congratulations.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to bmcgilvray, Dframe, and Dbacker for the support buying this sad but rare littler beater.

I have a collection of both good and sorry and among my light weights, sorry seems to win.

As per the pic below, these include (the bottom 2) a couple of S&W Model 12's that saw extensive service with AZ DPS - the two inch was so bad that I cold blued the cylinder and barrel.

I don't know if they'll ever be worth more than I paid, but having a rare bird is fun and no one can ever fault you for shooting a collectable.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I'm one of the folks who shoot nearly everything. I have a small collection of lightweights, some not in pristine condition. I love them and shoot them a lot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts