Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Under the new law any transfer of ownership must go through a dealer. A local dealer now charges $15 for paperwork, $2 for background check and $5 to hold the gun overnight. I expected that there would be little push back on the law by NRA and I was correct. The only challenge was the one gun a month and it failed at a lower court and the NRA was not involved. Dealers saw the new law benefited them and so there was no support from them to fight the transfer law. The law is so severe that you cannot give a gun to your children or spouse.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Wow I used to live in an anti-gun state and after living here for most of my life I cannot imagine going back. That is scary, just think of how many guns members of this forum have that were passed down to them by family.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
The Maryland General Assembly will look at the VA law and say "Hold my beer!"

·
Registered
513 Posts
Indiana also had some changes go in effect on July 1. They were:
House Bill 1284:
  • IC Section 34-30-31 - Provides immunity for a justified use of force in certain instances to help prevent frivolous lawsuits. Victims of violent crime shouldn’t be subjected to unnecessary civil suits, therefore being victimized twice. It will require a court to award, in certain instances, reasonable attorney's fees if it determines a suit was brought unjustly, helping to prevent financial ruin for individuals protecting themselves and others.
  • IC Section 35-47-2-3 - Extend the four-year License to Carry a Handgun (LTCH) to five years, and eliminate fees for the five-year LTCH.
  • IC Section 35-47-9-1 - Clarifies the authority of private property owners to establish carry policies in places of worship.
  • IC Section 3-7-18-2 - Allows those applying for a LTCH to register to vote at the same time.
House Bill 1284 was legislation spearheaded by Representatives Jim Lucas and Ben Smaltz, who are both NRA Defender of Freedom award recipients. Hoosier gun owners are now able to exercise their right of carrying a handgun without the financial burden of paying this unnecessary government fee.

Some states still understand the need for liberty and the right to bear arms.

·
Registered
222 Posts
how does big brother actually follow the trail of guns being bought, sold, traded? I'm sure every gang banger, drug dealer and crack head will be standing in line to do their transfers.
I guess the point is, nobody knows what guns I have, most gun owners i know have guns bought at yard sales, swap meets, ftf, traded,, etc. nobody knows what they have, and nobody will know what they dont have. So how is this suppose to work? jim

·
Registered
279 Posts
And it may be getting even worse in Virginia:

Anti-self-defense Delegate Mark Levine's HB961, which banned "assault weapons", suppressors, and magazines that hold over 10 rounds, was continued to 2021 back in February. But Governor Northam recently said he wants to revive it and has said he will convene a special session of the General Assembly in August.

Besides HB961, these other infringements could also be voted on in August:
  • repeal reciprocity with 25 states
  • shutdown indoor shooting ranges
  • restrict outdoor shooting ranges
  • no open carry in vehicles
  • proof of training to purchase a firearm
  • 10% tax on guns and ammunition
  • conviction for various misdemeanors or a "hate crime" will take away gun rights
  • illegal to have guns in state or local government buildings
  • illegal to carry in Capitol Square or in the General Assembly
  • gun stores cannot employ anyone who is prohibited from owning firearms - even a janitor
  • and more

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts
how does big brother actually follow the trail of guns being bought, sold, traded? I'm sure every gang banger, drug dealer and crack head will be standing in line to do their transfers.
I guess the point is, nobody knows what guns I have, most gun owners i know have guns bought at yard sales, swap meets, ftf, traded,, etc. nobody knows what they have, and nobody will know what they dont have. So how is this suppose to work? jim
Big Brother would not know until the possessor was found using the firearm in some sort of public setting or search of your property.

So, you save them for use when it gets to the point getting caught with an AR15 and 30 round mags is less dangerous than being caught without them.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Do not expect any help from the NRA on this they have too many problems in house to do much of anything. Sad but true the politicians know this and act accordingly now. :(

·
Registered
147 Posts
We had similar things happen with the New York State Safe Act. My "good until revoked" permits now have to be renewed every 5 years, so I had to give up my 1971 Pictures on my state and New York City permits, but now I look like the person on my permit. We have a requirement for all firearms transfers to go through a dealer and the state set the price for this at $10.00 to encourage people doing it. I actually feel better knowing that the sale was recorded so if down the road someone uses the gun in a crime, I can show when exactly I got rid of it and how and to whom.

None of these things really bother me. Keep in mind that any firearm that you legally purchased through a dealer has a 4473 attached to it and all dealers have to retain their bound books and 4473s for 20 years or turn them in. I still have my bound books and 4473 back to 1970.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts
I actually feel better knowing that the sale was recorded so if down the road someone uses the gun in a crime, I can show when exactly I got rid of it and how and to

I actually feel better knowing that the sale was recorded so if down the road someone uses the gun in a crime, I can show when exactly I got rid of it and how and to whom.

None of these things really bother me.

Bob
A personal policy of show me your valid carry permit and a bill of sale provides excellent CYA.

I am in favor of prudent self preservation, I despise a third party telling me how I must do it.

These "I really don't mind ......." is how we lost our right to own fully automatic Thompsons and the like without an extra permission slip along with the ability to purchase such items at fair market prices.

YMMV

·
Registered
147 Posts
As a Class III dealer I really didn't mind that either! (Past tense - Now on fixed income too expensive to shoot!

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Arizona. We have a right to carry, open or concealed, no permit required, although, I personally feel better with a person being "trained and permitted". Operative word is TRAINED.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Thanks for the input guys- scared for Arizona to many non believers (2nd) moving there from PRC..

hope they all stay free..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts