Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought what should be a mint 1911A1 (1945) from a large seller based in South Dakota that I've done business with before on occasion. I picked it out after carefully studying the usual five blurry pictures. (These guys could sure stand to read the good thread we had around here about indoor photos.) Anyway, this is my third go-round with the Colt WWII 1911A1. My first was just too worn for my taste and I sold it. My second was a mixmaster and I slightly regret selling it because it was a good shooter. But, I guess I decided if I'm going to have one of these, it needs to be original and nicer, but maybe not totally mint. And, the price has to be right.

I can never quite get over how tough and mean the Colt 1911A1s looked in their wartime colors. "Brutally handsome", like the song said. I'll post pix or else a sob story. I've always been satisfied with the items I've bought from my South Dakota friends, if not totally delighted.

A friend of mine took a chance on an E-nickel Series 70 Commander from the same outfit and sent it right back. It was worn beyond collector status. Then again, he bought a stone-mint 1950's .22 Trooper from the same outfit some years ago for about half its worth.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Love the 1911A1. I have a Colt I just got and two Remington Rands. One of the Remington's is a shooter with little finish left. Good luck on your new pistol.

·
Registered
737 Posts
iwanna, My WWII 1911A1 collection is of 1943 made guns only. I have Colts, US&S,Rem-Rands and Ithacas. Although I'm not selling mine ,if your deal falls through,let me recommend you contact Scott Gahimer [he is a member here] e-mail [email protected]. He has a collectors web site [M1911info.com] or you can call 317-3392-7111 and is a world recognized expert on these weapons.He is a contributor to most of the quality collector books. Scott is an honest,christian gentleman with a great reputation. AND....Yes, I admit, he is a friend. He will guide you along, counsel, and assist you in every facet of the 1911-1911A1 spectrum. He may have just what you're looking for and if not he will help you find what you're looking for.I hope you find this helpful, Nick

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, all. I should have in hand by early next week. I'll send it back on these guys if I'm not happy. I've done fine with them on my other four buys. My first SAA might have to wait.

At the moment I have two Colt 1911's, a series 70 government and an XSE. I'm hooked on the war Colts though. I can't wait to put my 1950 conversion unit on the new one.

·
Registered
852 Posts
A very nice if not perfect Remington Rand has scratched the itch for me. I wouldn't mind a US&S both for its railroad connection and the fact that my dad was from Swissvale.
Amazing how many of such things we made, and made by MFGs and people who had no experience making them.
Moon

·
Registered
11,682 Posts
A very nice if not perfect Remington Rand has scratched the itch for me. I wouldn't mind a US&S both for its railroad connection and the fact that my dad was from Swissvale.
Amazing how many of such things we made, and made by MFGs and people who had no experience making them.
Moon
The government saw WWII on the horizon and issued "Educational Orders". This was how the rarest 1911A1 pistol came to exist. One of the educational orders was issued to the Singer Manufacturing Co. to build a 1911A1 pistol from scratch, as the government wanted to see how well they did building a weapon with no previous experience. 500 of the pistols were manufactured by Singer, and were beautifully finished. Even though the educational order was a success, the government kept Singer busy manufacturing artillery fire directors, and no more 1911A1 pistols were manufactured.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts