Colt Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Colt Forum from West Virginia. Glad you have joined us all here. I always enjoy threads on Walkers/Possible Walkers….. Thanks for sharing your gun with us.😎

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Come on guys, not much of a welcome to a new member. If one has no interest in the topic, one can easily just ignore it without getting miffed at the poster. Back on topic to the OP: Welcome to the forum. You have an interesting gun, but the odds of it being an original Walker are pretty remote, frankly the odds of any newly found Walker coming to light are slim but not necessarily zero. Things I find non original on based on your photos are the caliber stamping as I do not believe genuine Walkers had that. Also the serial number of 564 is off. The Military ones were numbered A through E 1 to 200, and the 100 civilian Walkers were numbered 1000 through 1100 or so, thus the 564 fits nowhere in this sequence. My hunch is a really beat Italian clone, possibly has been in a fire. If you can get a screw off and determine if it is metric there would be your answer as to if it is Italian. There are no doubt other things that can be pointed out by those who really know these... I am not one of them as the study of Walkers is way beyond my knowledge.
Amen. ☝☝☝☝

·
Registered
355 Posts
7. After they come here, WE NEVER HEAR FROM THEM AGAIN, let alone contribute.
I'm guessing they don't return because they are poorly treated while here. We are all here with our own reasons and abilities. Many have a wealth they willingly share to an appreciative audience- some can only manage stupid questions hoping for tolerance- and some are just here to bitch and spew words.

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
[QUOTndv ok, post: 3414768, member: 39858"]
I'm guessing they don't return because they are poorly treated while here. We are all here with our own reasons and abilities. Many have a wealth they willingly share to an appreciative audience- some can only manage stupid questions hoping for tolerance- and some are just here to bitch and spew words.
[/QUOTE]
hello; yes, poor treatment perhaps but in defense of detractors, they are most of them trying to inform the seekers about the raw truth. also the newcomers most if them come here looking for information, some perhaps trolling. most of them are not admirers of colt firearms or the history and do not offer anything in return for what they seek. i read the forum for about fifteen years without joining in untill in september of 2020 i made a reproducable copy of a portion of the 1851 i had been studying. i started posting in org=der to leave an indelible trail for my grandsons tfollow and to attempt to obtain visual feedback on what i was imaging. so far, successfully and i am greatly appreciative for the assistance.

highest regards to all, bro

·
Registered
414 Posts
Welcome!

I have a question, not for the OP.

If two Walkers which are both acknowledged to be legitimate are compared to each other are there differences?

If so, how can comparing an unknown to a known legit Walker be definitive?

Other than obvious giveaways like metric screws or an Italian marking, who is to say?

I am always amazed at the vitriol these threads stir up.

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
Welcome!

I have a question, not for the OP.

If two Walkers which are both acknowledged to be legitimate are compared to each other are there differences?

If so, how can comparing an unknown to a known legit Walker be definitive?

Other than obvious giveaways like metric screws or an Italian marking, who is to say?

I am always amazed at the vitriol these threads stir up.
I don’t get the vitriol either. It sounds defensive for some reason. There has to be not yet discovered real Walkers out there. And anyone with a “Walker” they are wondering about will find this forum as a place to ask about it. A few people have been struck by lightning twice and some day, or some decade, a real Colt Walker not yet documented will show up here, though no one will believe it.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I don’t get the vitriol either. It sounds defensive for some reason. There has to be not yet discovered real Walkers out there. And anyone with a “Walker” they are wondering about will find this forum as a place to ask about it. A few people have been struck by lightning twice and some day, or some decade, a real Colt Walker not yet documented will show up here, though no one will believe it.
Agreed. And so many say it will never happen, that all are already found. Perhaps but remember back only 4 or 5 years when some on this very forum would get irate and ridicule those of us who wondered if Colt would ever bring back a DA revolver. No one knows the future, and it is fun to wonder. I say bring on all the potential original and questionable Walker candidates. Lets see them. If you don't like reading about these, simply don't click on the thread!

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Agreed. And so many say it will never happen, that all are already found. Perhaps but remember back only 4 or 5 years when some on this very forum would get irate and ridicule those of us who wondered if Colt would ever bring back a DA revolver. No one knows the future, and it is fun to wonder. I say bring on all the potential original and questionable Walker candidates. Lets see them. If you don't like reading about these, simply don't click on the thread!
hello; i "hardyily" agree with you. researching this 1851 navy to me is like excavating grant's tomb and discovering a pair of 1847's with a letter from zachery taylor's family presenting them to grant.

regards, bro

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Years ago, 'The Gun Report' had an article on searching for a Walker - following a hint one was in Africa - turns out it was a Dragoon...

Over the decades, some serious deep pocket money has chased after any extant, and nothing new has surfaced - money's a powerful motivator and yet nothing showed up.

'My' initial impression was that of an Armi San Marco that's been artificially distressed.

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Years ago, 'The Gun Report' had an article on searching for a Walker - following a hint one was in Africa - turns out it was a Dragoon...

Over the decades, some serious deep pocket money has chased after any extant, and nothing new has surfaced - money's a powerful motivator and yet nothing showed up.

'My' initial impression was that of an Armi San Marco that's been artificially distressed.
hello, if it is farbeid, it is one of the best i have seen.

regards, bro

·
Registered
9,976 Posts

When you described that search for a specific Walker I pictured Sydney Greenstreet looking for the Maltese Falcon. I think I recall old time gun collector James Serven finding a Walker hanging from the ceiling or on the wall of a bar, maybe in Mexico. It might have been an old gunshop.

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
When you described that search for a specific Walker I pictured Sydney Greenstreet looking for the Maltese Falcon. I think I recall old time gun collector James Serven finding a Walker hanging from the ceiling or on the wall of a bar, maybe in Mexico. It might have been an old gunshop.
hello, on the wall in a saloon in deep australia - robin rapley (mr, wheelock, mr. flintlock, paterson authority) spent years in aus. in 2010's lookijng for one more. i believe it is there.

regards, bro

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
The term is an old Civil War reenactor term used by the hardcore guys who examine 'everything' - read Tony Horowitz' 'Confederates In The Attic' to get a better grasp of the meaning.

It stems from the comment of an experienced reenactor when answering a neophyte's question on historical accuracy - 'Far Be it for me to correct your Impression/Outfit' - thus, 'farby'...

When something's been 'de-farbed', all foreign marks have been scrubbed - sometimes correct markings are added via rollmarks/inspector's cartouches - any tags are cut out of the clothing, leather's all properly marked, and so on and so forth.

This has gone on since the late- sixties/mid-seventies and continues...

This was never an issue until after a few 'campaigns', the gear was getting some honest wear and tear on it (same for the WWII German reenactors) and was looking pretty good - after that stuff hits the secondary and tertiary markets, any and all provenance is gone and folks who 'want to believe' make up their own stories about how 'right' the item is.

This is one of the reasons I tell folks to buy books and do research before even thinking of buying.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Come on guys, not much of a welcome to a new member. If one has no interest in the topic, one can easily just ignore it without getting miffed at the poster. Back on topic to the OP: Welcome to the forum. You have an interesting gun, but the odds of it being an original Walker are pretty remote, frankly the odds of any newly found Walker coming to light are slim but not necessarily zero. Things I find non original on based on your photos are the caliber stamping as I do not believe genuine Walkers had that. Also the serial number of 564 is off. The Military ones were numbered A through E 1 to 200, and the 100 civilian Walkers were numbered 1000 through 1100 or so, thus the 564 fits nowhere in this sequence. My hunch is a really beat Italian clone, possibly has been in a fire. If you can get a screw off and determine if it is metric there would be your answer as to if it is Italian. There are no doubt other things that can be pointed out by those who really know these... I am not one of them as the study of Walkers is way beyond my knowledge.
The ones made by Armi San Maros were Colt. Made on Colt Dies. I have a bit of their parts for 1860, 51 Navy and such. I used one on an original Navy, fit like a glove.
The Walker was probably the best that Eli Whitney made

·
Registered
52 Posts
It is either real or an Italian copy. Take your pick.
[/QUOTE
To me anyway it does not appear to have gain twist rifling . To My Knowledge all colt BP guns had gain twist rifling. I have seen many Repro walkers and Dragoons put in the bottom of a Rabbit hutch for a few years to "age them" I would suggest a reputable Metallurgy lab if you think it is real. If it comes back affirmative you should start buying Lottery tickets. Reputable Black powder Colt people (mostly on the east coast ) are Herb Glass Jr. Richard Littlefield, or Vinnie Caponi.You could also Send it to Morphy's auction House

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Welcome to the Colt Forum. It would be great if your gun was the real thing, but it doesn't appear to be. Never say never, though. But still...thanks for showing it to us. Hope you stick around and learn lots of cool stuff about Colts and guns in general. It's worth your time.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Walter Rego said "The rifling in the barrel is interesting, it almost looks like it was straight cut and does not have a twist or if it does it was really, really slow. Is that a clue or were the Italian reproductions also cut with that type of rifling ?"

I seem to remember reading on the Percussion forum here that the original Walker's did not have gain twist rifling.

According to the Dixie Gunworks 2022 catalog the current Uberti reproduction Walker's have a 1:48" twist. My Uberti Walker that was made in 2015 has a 1:48" twist. I also have a couple Armi San Marco repro Walker's from around 1980 and they too appear to have a 1:48" twist.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts