Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an old rifle today. I have spent a couple of hours researching it with little success. I suspect there are Colt-loving members who also know this rifle. What I do know, on top of receiver is Walther logo with Waffenfabrik Walther Zella-Mehlis (Thur). This rifle is a single shot bolt action, probably from the 1920's. It is perhaps a pre-Sportsmodell V which was made in the 1930's I believe. The rear sight is fixed and as shown has a knob safety which turns red dot to fire and white for safe. Rifle has a heavy bull barrel. The right side of the barrel has a crown over B, crown over c, crown over u. Left side has crown beside N Nitro, serial number 14XXX which I believe is early. I believe it to be a civilian model. Condition is original as best I can tell. Bluing maybe 70%, bore nice, rifle fires, missing front sling swivel, lower buttstock repaired and cracks in the buttplate. Any thoughts regarding history and value would be appreciated. I am a member of several forums but this tends to be where I live. Thanks!
IMG_3390.jpg IMG_3391.jpg IMG_3392.jpg IMG_3393.jpg

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
In Germany in the 1920's or so, it would have been just like a Winchester .22 Rifle was to us in the USA as a privately owned gun. They go for about $300ish, if real nice.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks CJS57, about what I thought. I believe it may be a Model 4. Any others have thoughts?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a 1929 catalog for Gustav Genschow and Co in Berlin, apparently a large outdoor supplier. Below is a picture of a page from the Walther section and it shows a Model V which looks suspiciously like your rifle except for the safety on the rear of the bolt. I first thought your rear sight was a replacement but it looks essentially identical to that depicted in the catalog. Very nice find, I too am enamored of the European .22's, especially with Mannlicher stocks.

walther.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts