Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent a lot of time on YouTube watching reviews for anything pertaining to my LE6920. My first accessory of choice was a Red Dot scope with hi-rise mounts. I settled on a Bushnell TRS-32 5moa for $126 from Cheaper than Dirt. Didn't want to go with Eotech or Aimpoint in case something else suited my fancy later on. I like the scope and it coexists well with the iron sights and very simple to zero in. The LE6920 doesn't offer much rail space so my next purchase was a UTG quad rail (#ARR-238 from CTD for $65). It adds 7" of rail space on the top, bottom or sides where the handguard used to be. I would also suggest for beginners to purchase the handguard removal tool for about $13 (CTD). It sure beats ripping your fingers up. As I started to add weight to my AR-15 I decided to purchase the Leapers UTG Tactical bipod for $30 from CTD. It's made extremely well and offers a nice range of height adjustments. My latest purchase was a Sun Optics 3x magnifier ($80 from CTD) which mounts behind the Red Dot. It has a nice focus but you won't see the iron sights through it. I don't know if it will be a keeper or not. I purchased a flip-to-side mount for it because it's not needed at shorter distances ($80 from CTD).

Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Assault rifle Gun Firearm Airsoft Airsoft gun Shooting Gun Firearm Rifle Machine gun Assault rifle Airsoft Monocular Airsoft gun

I had read where a Red Dot should be mounted as far forward as possible to allow for faster target acquisition. I get good eye relief with the 3x magnifier mounted at the rear and it flips to the side allowing me to use the rear sight. I hope this helps any other new AR owner in choosing some accessories for their purchase. BTW after putting all of this on my AR-15 I saw a review for the Nikon P-223 at Optics Planet for $150. It's made for the AR-15. I've already emptied the coin jar. Almost there! I feel like I've done well and could've maybe done better but when you're flying blind you do the best you can. I'm looking for tight groups not best dressed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
How difficult was it to remove the LE6920's stock hand guard and to install another maker's hand guard? What tools are needed?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the delta ring tool it is super easy to replace the handguard. Go to YouTube and search "AR15 handguard replace" and you'll find numerous videos to watch. The LE6920 handguard is 6.7 inches long. I highly recommend the "UTG Pro quad rail" available from Cheaper than Dirt (part #ARR-238). It slaps together like two slices of bread and comes with many rubber pads to cover up areas that aren't accessorized. The aluminum rails are pretty sharp otherwise. Don't forget to get the Delta ring tool

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
I'm not trying to be a smart-XXX but I'm 61 years old and I can remove any Delta ring by myself. Perhaps it's because I am tall and have long arms and I get better leverage the guys who have shorter arms even though they may be stronger than me?
I know a lot of guys who use a hand guard removal tool and they are about 20 + younger than me, though. The tools are inexpensive and are easy to use.

Your LE6920 is an inherently accurate rifle to begin with. I hope you enjoy it very much :) I don't use all of the accesories that are available, save a Knights RAS and an M-68 Aimpoint and mount with a Knights 300 meter BUIS. I have no need for a IR system, $400 flashlight, or bipod. I can't see the point of making a short light carbine into a heavyweight long arm.

I forgot to mention I do have a Knight's vertical pistol grip on the RAS. I used it with the "magazine dump" and it was OK. I haven't used one often enough to decide how much I like it or not. It's length is fine for my hand and I don't mind it's slim diameter.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hear you Malysh! Maybe the spring on your gun is weaker. There's was little or no space to get my fingers in when removing the handguard so the tool serves a valuable purpose. Looking at your profile you are not new to guns. Some of us are going through a learning process of how guns are put together. I initially got my handguard off but it wasn't easy. Putting it back on wasn't any easier but at least I saw what I was dealing with and how it fit.

I agree with you about over-accessorizing a firearm. I didn't buy my AR-15 for close quarter home defense. I like the bipod for target shooting at longer ranges. I'm 61 yrs old like you but had other interests growing up. I'm learning how my gun works but don't necessarily want to learn gunsmithing in it's entirety. I just want to be safe and have fun.

You'll have to try harder to be a smarta**. Maybe I can teach you a few things in that department. I wouldn't be here if I wasn't interested in other people's experiences. Thanks for your comment!

Reactions: Malysh

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
I hear you Malysh! Maybe the spring on your gun is weaker. There's was little or no space to get my fingers in when removing the handguard so the tool serves a valuable purpose. Looking at your profile you are not new to guns. Some of us are going through a learning process of how guns are put together. I initially got my handguard off but it wasn't easy. Putting it back on wasn't any easier but at least I saw what I was dealing with and how it fit.

I agree with you about over-accessorizing a firearm. I didn't buy my AR-15 for close quarter home defense. I like the bipod for target shooting at longer ranges. I'm 61 yrs old like you but had other interests growing up. I'm learning how my gun works but don't necessarily want to learn gunsmithing in it's entirety. I just want to be safe and have fun.

You'll have to try harder to be a smarta**. Maybe I can teach you a few things in that department. I wouldn't be here if I wasn't interested in other people's experiences. Thanks for your comment!
I'm gratified you took this in the spirit I intended. After I posted, I thought about deleting the post. It may have appeared I was being too negative. I get like that sometimes :rolleyes:

About the delta rings. I have numerous AR rifles and carbines. Even on my AR-10 which has a bit more powerful captive spring, I can remove the hand guards. It's probably just juvenile ego that makes me take the hand guards off manually. I do the same thing with screwdrivers. The only time I use a drill is when I have a big project. Otherwise I think the hands can use a work out. Meanwhile, I do have a little arthritis so I'm not being to smart when you think about it!

I think you were very smart to get a low cost red dot before you commited $500 or more in an Aimpoint Comp M or an Eotech. It might have turned out you didn't like them and then you are out a lot of cash. As you could guess, I am not crazy about what I see as gadgets for civilian carbine usage. In the field, it's another story, but thank God we all have the right to chose what we like and don't like!
I had my Aimpoint M-68 set up on my SBR M-4A1 for 3-4 years after I zeroed the detachable carry handle sights, the Aimpoint, and the Knights back up iron sight and hadn't shot it again all that time. Recently, I went shooting with a friend who was had never shot an AR-15 so I brought it along for him to try. I decided to do something I rarely do - I dumped a 30 rd. magazine at about 60-70 yds. with the Aimpoint as fast as I could. I was very impressed with how fast sight and target acquisition was. Every shot went into black area of the target, with clusters or galaxies of 3-4 shots in one hole. Not Camp Perry shooting to say the least but it gave me a stronger understanding of what collimator sights are really for. Quick target acquisition and quick response to an immediate and unanticipated threat. It changed me from a somewhat sceptical owner into a fan. Since then, I had my best friend in TX. send me a Russian red dot Kobra sight for my Russian AK-74M rifle and a few other of my AK variations.

If I want accuracy, I shoot a lot slower, exercise controlled breathing and trigger squeeze and use a casual rest, but for a fast response you can't beat the red dots.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
BTW - please excuse my bad manners, welcome to the Colt Forum! I hope you find you enjoy your time here as much as we do.

Mike

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft Design
Here's my 6920 carbine 2012 config. setup for HD with minimum accessories that I need:
Knight's Armament Co. (KAC) M4 RAS carbine rails
KAC forward vertical grip
LMT fixed rear sight (shown - now with KAC 300m folding backup sight)
Aimpoint CompM2 (M68 CCO 4MOA dot) with LaRue cantilever QD mount
Surefire M951C weaponlight (push button momentary/ constant-on tail switch)
Magpul PMAG
Vickers VCAS two point combat sling (made by Blue Force Gear National Stock Number NSN 1005-01-604-0627)

First of all welcome to the site, you will enjoy the mature exchanges of info here compared to other sites that are way too wild and a lot of noob misinformation and assumptions.

I'm no spring chicken also I'm only a few years younger than you guys.

I configured my 6920 as my main home defense carbine with only the minimum add-on mainly a light and red dot, I had to use a carbine rail so I could mount my light and vertical grip properly and solidly to avoid any mounting problems on the standard M4 type handguards, all my upgrades are all battle tested by our military and I actually have these things for about 8 years now without any problems (I mounted all of them on my first M4 type carbine which was a LMT (Lewis Machine & Tool Co.) Defender 2000 carbine that I bought in 2005).

I have also a budget 2.5X magnifier on LaRue flip to the side QD mount, the magnifier was originally a Hensoldt German army anti tank rocket launcher reticle refurbished at the original factory to remove the tank silhouette reticle and charge new nitrogen anti fog gas inside, I'm glad I didn't buy an expensive magnifier because I only use it rarely when I shoot 200 to 300 yds.

Some time ago I also bought a spare same German army anti tank optic from CTD, my transaction with them was smooth and quick, but I have some friends that had problems with their customer service, so I'm just saying.

No offense intended but most optic mount manufacturers like LaRue Tactical for example don't recommend mounting optics on handguard rails because it could shift even on free floated rails, which would mess up your zero, the only mounting on the handguard rails that's OK is on monolithic one piece rail and upper receivers like on the Colt model 6940.

When you are ready to upgrade to a better optic later on, I would highly recommend any Aimpoint model that you like, I'm a very long time Aimpoint owner since 1989 with my first Aimpoint 2000 red dot and all my past and current Aimpoint are very reliable and unbeatable battery life.

I also have an EOTech but I still prefer my Aimpoint, EOTech have a nice big circle reticle for close work but I don't prefer to change batteries often, I also don't like its auto shut-off feature, I prefer my Aimpoint which is always on all the time 24/7.

I've got another older 6920 made in 2011 with "Sporter M4 Carbine" marking and I'm slowly upgrading it with commercial accessories, so far I have a Magpul STR FDE stock, Magpul FDE MIAD grip and Troy folding rear sight on it, later on I'll be finishing it up with a lightweight 12 inch modular rail system and it is my mainly shooting range gun.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have two 6940's each modified to my personal taste. Adaptability is one of the strong points of the AR platform.

Aimpoint T1 & Aimpoint Comp 4S with LaRue Tactical Mounts, Magpul CTR buttstocks,

LaRue Tactical FUG's & rail covers. Beautiful shooting Colt's. :)

Reactions: coltle6920

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
View attachment 39562
Here's my 6920 carbine 2012 config. setup for HD with minimum accessories that I need:
Knight's Armament Co. (KAC) M4 RAS carbine rails
KAC forward vertical grip
LMT fixed rear sight (shown - now with KAC 300m folding backup sight)
Aimpoint CompM2 (M68 CCO 4MOA dot) with LaRue cantilever QD mount
Surefire M951C weaponlight (push button momentary/ constant-on tail switch)
Magpul PMAG
Vickers VCAS two point combat sling (made by Blue Force Gear National Stock Number NSN 1005-01-604-0627)

First of all welcome to the site, you will enjoy the mature exchanges of info here compared to other sites that are way too wild and a lot of noob misinformation and assumptions.

I'm no spring chicken also I'm only a few years younger than you guys.

I configured my 6920 as my main home defense carbine with only the minimum add-on mainly a light and red dot, I had to use a carbine rail so I could mount my light and vertical grip properly and solidly to avoid any mounting problems on the standard M4 type handguards, all my upgrades are all battle tested by our military and I actually have these things for about 8 years now without any problems (I mounted all of them on my first M4 type carbine which was a LMT (Lewis Machine & Tool Co.) Defender 2000 carbine that I bought in 2005).

I have also a budget 2.5X magnifier on LaRue flip to the side QD mount, the magnifier was originally a Hensoldt German army anti tank rocket launcher reticle refurbished at the original factory to remove the tank silhouette reticle and charge new nitrogen anti fog gas inside, I'm glad I didn't buy an expensive magnifier because I only use it rarely when I shoot 200 to 300 yds.

Some time ago I also bought a spare same German army anti tank optic from CTD, my transaction with them was smooth and quick, but I have some friends that had problems with their customer service, so I'm just saying.

No offense intended but most optic mount manufacturers like LaRue Tactical for example don't recommend mounting optics on handguard rails because it could shift even on free floated rails, which would mess up your zero, the only mounting on the handguard rails that's OK is on monolithic one piece rail and upper receivers like on the Colt model 6940.

When you are ready to upgrade to a better optic later on, I would highly recommend any Aimpoint model that you like, I'm a very long time Aimpoint owner since 1989 with my first Aimpoint 2000 red dot and all my past and current Aimpoint are very reliable and unbeatable battery life.

I also have an EOTech but I still prefer my Aimpoint, EOTech have a nice big circle reticle for close work but I don't prefer to change batteries often, I also don't like its auto shut-off feature, I prefer my Aimpoint which is always on all the time 24/7.

I've got another older 6920 made in 2011 with "Sporter M4 Carbine" marking and I'm slowly upgrading it with commercial accessories, so far I have a Magpul STR FDE stock, Magpul FDE MIAD grip and Troy folding rear sight on it, later on I'll be finishing it up with a lightweight 12 inch modular rail system and it is my mainly shooting range gun.
I was going to recommend that the O.P. contact you as you seem to have tried a lot of the add ons and have experience using them, but I thought you might turn up and give him some suggestions :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First off.....To Malysh...No need to apologize, my friend. I opened up in the new members section telling people I was thick skinned and really don't take offense at anything. It what makes us all different and makes the forum a better place. I'm into semi-autos and a lot of you are into revolvers. If I ask for opinions on something I don't accept that persons word entirely. I follow it up with research elsewhere on the Web. I chose my "signature" based on the way I lead my life.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To AR15_1911 and Wild Will.....I hadn't shot anything other than a 22 rifle in the last 45yrs. so at 61yrs old to buy an AR15, XDS .45 and 22mag is like learning to ride a bike all over. I hope you can appreciate the fact that I wasn't going all out on all of the latest or expensive accessories available just to showoff.

My question to both of you is what do you gain from the fore grip you both have installed. Does it offer better stability in holding up the front of your AR? I'd like to think that it's a matter of taste because everything I've read suggests that it is something primarily used by Swat teams when clearing a building because it offers a shorter pivot point in close quarters.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts

I also have the same vertical forward grip (VFG) as Wild Will which is a LaRue Tactical FUG, it have three different bottom caps, a short, medium and long, so it is a three-in-one size grip, mine shown have the short cap.

This shows the left side of the FUG vertical forward grip, it is also quick detachable by releasing the lever mount at the right side of the grip. This is my same Colt 6721 carbine (top picture) which I configured as my precision carbine, it have a limited production Rock Creek Barrels mil-spec steel 16" barrel, medium contour (thicker than government/ lightweight barrel but thinner than HBAR Colt heavy barrels of the 6721 model) under the handguard, mid-length gas system which the gas tube is exactly 2 inch longer than the 6920 carbine gas system, chrome lined same source as Colt, 5.56 NATO chamber, and M4 feedramps. It could group at 100 yds with match and hand loads ammo from half MOA to 1 MOA.

Here's my same precision carbine which shows my LaRue 9 inch free floating handguard rails, LaRue FUG vertical forward grip, Vltor EMOD stock, Aimpoint M68, 2.5X magnifier, and old Bobro Engineering gen 1 aluminum bipod.

My Steyr AUG A1 which I first learned how to use the vertical forward grip way back in '89 before the AR used them.

I've got another Magpul angled forward grip (AFG) which I use on my other Colt 6721 with HBAR heavy barrel.

To AR15_1911 and Wild Will.....I hadn't shot anything other than a 22 rifle in the last 45yrs. so at 61yrs old to buy an AR15, XDS .45 and 22mag is like learning to ride a bike all over. I hope you can appreciate the fact that I wasn't going all out on all of the latest or expensive accessories available just to showoff.

My question to both of you is what do you gain from the fore grip you both have installed. Does it offer better stability in holding up the front of your AR? I'd like to think that it's a matter of taste because everything I've read suggests that it is something primarily used by Swat teams when clearing a building because it offers a shorter pivot point in close quarters.
For myself the forward grip helps in speeding up aiming from one target to another, it also have less stress on the hand when holding the weapon on patrol carrying it all day long.

I personally prefer my vertical forward grip when carrying the carbine for long periods of time, if I'm mostly only shooting but not carrying I prefer my angled forward grip, I would suggest you try them first and find out which one you like better.

Also vertical forward grips varies in size (length), diameter, materials (synthetic or aluminum) and mounting type (screw on, bottom cap locks the mount, thumb screw, tool-less mounting, and lever quick detachable mount), also price.

My shooting history is when I was 5 y/o I started shooting with my father's .22 LR bolt action rifle, when I was about 8 got my first pellet rifle break-barrel spring piston type, 43 years ago I started learning pistols I had my first .22 LR basic High Standard bull barrel target auto pistol and I was using my father's Colt 70 series Gov't. model and Gold Cup model 1911 pistols.

When I had learned to shoot my .22 and center-fire pistols 42 years ago I started to compete NRA pistol competition at my local gun club. Then in 1984 when I had my first Colt 1911 Gov't. model I started combat pistol competition as a member of my work's pistol team, I stopped all my competition activities in the mid 1990s when my first son was born, but I still practice by myself every free time I get.

The same time I had my .22 pistol I also had my first .22 LR rifle which is my Ruger 10/22. 42 years ago I had my first AR which was my former Colt SP1 rifle, in '84 I sold my SP1 rifle (my big mistake) and bought a new Colt Sporter II AR-15A2 rifle, a year after that I bought my first carbine a new Colt Sporter II carbine, then a year after that got myself my first HBAR heavy barrel Colt A2 HBAR Sporter which I mainly used for DCM/ CMP high power target competition up to about mid 1990s.

My other two Colt that I had was a Sporter Lightweight carbine and a Sporter Target rifle (both 1991 models).

Currently I have seven AR, my two 6920 carbines, two 6721 carbines, one 20" barrel Colt Match Target lower with USGI M16A2 Colt upper half, LMT Defender M4 type 16" carbine, and RRA flattop A4 9mm 16" barrel carbine. I had started building my own AR in 2005, I have tools to install barrels, install free floating handguards, fully assemble uppers and lowers, all my builds are all reliable without any problems.

My main philosophy on firearms is not to be flashy but use the most reliable brands that are fully tested by a large group of users, I keep my home defense carbine as simple as possible but on my precision carbine I make it best fit me, but also trying not to be too flashy.

Reactions: coltle6920

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To AR15_1911......That is a sweet collection you have there.....The one accessory I still want is a sling like the one you show in the last picture. I've got a quad rail so I understand how it attaches there but I don't quite follow how it connects on the stock. Is it threaded or some kind of QD? I've looked at slings on several websites but the descriptions offered just confuse me. I'm getting tired of ordering the wrong thing and having to return it. That last sling pictured would suit me to a tee if I knew where to get it.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
To AR15_1911......That is a sweet collection you have there.....The one accessory I still want is a sling like the one you show in the last picture. I've got a quad rail so I understand how it attaches there but I don't quite follow how it connects on the stock. Is it threaded or some kind of QD? I've looked at slings on several websites but the descriptions offered just confuse me. I'm getting tired of ordering the wrong thing and having to return it. That last sling pictured would suit me to a tee if I knew where to get it.
The 2 point sling that I shown on my last picture is the standard Vickers VCAS model made by Blue Force Gear (National Stock Number - NSN 1005-01-604-0627) mine is the foliage green color but they're also available in different colors like black, coyote brown (tan), OD green, also in camo ACU and Multicam.

At the front end of the Vickers sling I used an optional heavy duty push button sling swivel with Fastex buckle adapter (link below), I prefer to use that adapter to eliminate the webbing buckle that attaches to the sling swivel, it's just a cleaner look to me, you could try to just use the sling without it at first and find out if you would need the adapter or not.

The rear of the sling is attached to the stock with a heavy duty push button sling swivel, you should have one included with your Colt-Rogers factory stock, should be in the plastic bag which holds your owner's instruction manual.

The stock I shown on the last picture is a Magpul CTR military spec size (with optional thickest buttpad) and it have a built-in QD sling mount at the left and right side of it.

However according to this thread the Rogers stock seems like it have a sling mount defect, see this thread for more info.

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/col...-equiped-roger-superstocks-i-had-failure.html

If you don't trust the QD sling mount of the stock you could just wrap the webbing on the slots of the stock.

At the front end of the sling on the rail if you don't have any QD female sling mount, you need to buy one that attaches to the rail, there are many manufacturers that makes them like Midwest Industries, Troy, Daniel Defense, etc.

I bought my slings at OperationParts.com (located at Linden, MI), here's the direct links for the Vickers sling and front sling adapter.

Vickers Combat Applications Sling™, Two-Point Quick Adjust, Original Style, Machined Aluminum Adjuster And Metal Hardware, Black

BLUE FORCE GEAR PUSH BUTTON SWIVEL ADAPTER, BLACK

For your information your factory supplied heavy duty push button quick detachable sling swivel is exactly this.

QD Sling Swivels | Damage Industries

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I just wanted to add that there is a lower priced version of the Vickers VCAS two point sling, it's the Victory series sling that's only available in black color, it doesn't have the side release buckle of the Vickers sling, but they're of high quality materials made here in the good old USA, only around $39 and change.

BLUE FORCE GEAR VICTORY SERIES TWO-POINT AR-15/M4 SLING, BLACK

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bought my AR at a LGS. Only thing in the box was the manual and 1 mag. Couldn't even tell you what kind of rear sight I have. I know it's cheap! I can adjust for wind but nothing else. I tell people I bought a stock LE6920 but I guess it's what stock Colt had available at the time.

You guys are great! Thanks for all of the input and super pics too. I'm going to check out those links right now.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts

Here's a picture of what is the current 2013 configuration LE6920 standard model, note the Magpul MBUS synthetic folding rear sight, Colt-Rogers SuperStoc, owner's manual, heavy duty push button sling swivel (Damage Industries brand), and a PMAG.

Bought my AR at a LGS. Only thing in the box was the manual and 1 mag. Couldn't even tell you what kind of rear sight I have. I know it's cheap! I can adjust for wind but nothing else. I tell people I bought a stock LE6920 but I guess it's what stock Colt had available at the time.

You guys are great! Thanks for all of the input and super pics too. I'm going to check out those links right now.
Here's a picture of what comes with the current 2013 standard LE6920 model from a typical dealer, if you can't find your factory supplied sling swivel you might have to ask your LGS if they lost it and if they could give you a replacement.

If your LGS can't help you, you could contact Colt customer service and ask if they could send one to you.

The rear sight you have is what is included with the current 2013 models, it is a Magpul MBUS synthetic folding sight, I have one of them on my other AR and it works fine no problems.

There was a durability test on popular folding metal sights and also included the Magpul synthetic folding sight, they dropped the sights mounted on carbines and to my surprise the synthetic sight survived the test with less damage than the metallic sights.

The Magpul synthetic sights are only adjustable for windage, for zeroing vertically you have to rotate your front sight post.

My LE6920 is the older 2012 (with Colt-Rogers SuperStoc) model that I bought Spring of last year and the differences are mine had a detachable carry handle rear sight, two 20 round aluminum Colt mags, cleaning kit, black basic silent sling, heavy duty push button sling swivel, and owner's manual.

One final info about the Vickers VCAS two point sling is that you could also buy them directly from Blue Force Gear (link below).

Blue Force Gear

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey AR15_1911....Spent a couple of hours searching those previous links you provided to find what you suggested. All I ended up with was a headache and bloodshot eyes. Just had to take a break from it. Looked at my AR and it did come with the Colt-Rogers collapsible stock. This morning I saw your last post here and clicked the link for "Blue Force Gear" and came up with the following two items which I like. My question to you is will the push-button attachment on the end of the sling snap right into the round hole on my stock? That is the one thing that I am totally ignorant on.

Strap Leash Webbing Fashion accessory Rock-climbing equipment Product Camera accessory Bicycle part
The other piece is what I would attach on my front side rail. I appreciate your help and your patience.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts