Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a book that describes all of Colts double action revolvers, if there actually is one. I know that Jerry Kuhnhausen has some real good books on repair and restoration. I already have his shop manual 1 & 2 for the Colt SA revolver, which is an excellent book by the way. But I'm looking for something more descriptive with pictures and short articles covering Colts double action revolver line, like Python, Cobra, Detective, Diamondback, frame size differences and that sort of thing. When I see some pictures of the Cobra and Detective special for instance, they look the same to me. I know they're not and want to know what seperates them apart from each other. So I need to get myself a Colt education.

[This message has been edited by FrankD (edited 04-25-2005).]

·
Premium Member
9,457 Posts
"The Book of Colt Firearms" by Wilson and Sutherland is probably your best single source for information and pictures on any Colt, including double-action revolvers. However, please understand it contains some errors. For instance, the 1952 Border Patrol is described as a "D" frame, when it is actually an "I" frame, and there is no picture. Another error is the introduction date for the Agent, which is stated to be 1962, when it was in fact 1955. There are others, but this book is still the "Bible" for good reason. Start your education there.

·
Registered
794 Posts
The Judge recommends a great reference book. However, be aware these are as pricey as some Colt guns and have not been in print for quite some time. Finding one may also be difficult unless you are willing to pay the high dollars.

For something a lot more affordable albeit with a lot less detail, try the Standard Catalog of Firearms by Ned Schwing. It will have a photo and a brief 1 paragraph description for most guns. The photo's do not show much detail as to marking etc, but give you an idea on what the gun looks like. It too is riddled with errors.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts