Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been casting around for a "project" Python. In my ad I'm asking for a rough shape gun, jokingly stating "dragged behind the pickup truck".

Well be careful what you wish for cause I found my gun. I thought I would find a beater from the 80's. But this gun is a 1959 (87XX)!!!

Caution pictures below will cause a grown man to weep uncontrollably ...

You've been warned

Since its a 1959 year, my first thought was trying to restoring it. But it may be too far gone and even a year-long trip to Colt won't make it a 1959 Python again. My buddy told me to sandblast it, paint it and shoot the heck out of it (the action is sooooo smooth, one of the nicest I've ever felt), or I can move forward on my project (barrel and cylinder replacement)

Any feedback??

(Oh and if the seller sees this please don't take this as a criticism of you or the gun. It is exactly as you described and I'm very happy with my purchase)

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
I think it is really refreshing to see one in this condition.

I would Oil/Grease it up well, and, leave it alone.

So...with the timing and Lock-Up being very good, and the Bore being very good, it ought to shoot just as nicely as any other one!

Nice find!

Looks like it got damp a few times.

Why mess with it?

It is very cool just like it is!

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Was that unearthed at Custers last stand? I wouldn't bother replacing anything unless the bore was rusted out or the cylinders. I would bead blast it polish the latch notches to not drag when cocked and blue it. That is all you can do to it. Shoot it have fun but I do have to say you paid a bit much in my opinion then again if you are happy that is all that matters. Good luck with it let us see the finished item if and when you decide what the out come will be.

·
Registered
419 Posts
If all is good with the bore, timing and lock-up, that's the type of gun that would land at my engravers doorstep for a bath in silver plating and full coverage engraving. Fire blue the hammer and trigger then slip on a set of hand carved and checkered ivory grips. Just because it's way past NIB doesn't mean it can't be out there standing tall.

Reactions: Hootch56

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Is it just me or does that gun look like its been in a FIRE. Bluing looks like its been hot at one time, notice in certain places finish looks cooked, might want to check the metal hardness..........just sayin ...................M

·
Registered
994 Posts
It is about time someone found a python that has been used. I was starting to think they were all tucked inside safes, oiled, waxed, fondled often and shot only by factory trained personnel. Refreshing indeed!

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
The fiirst thing I'd do is clean bore and inside cylinders real good, clean the cocking notches with the tiny qtips, clean and lube all internal parts. Then i'd shoot it off rest with various loads to see just how good it shoots. If it shoots real good and has say a 1" group (with all 6 shots) at 15 or more yards,then id be real happy and maybe consider some refinishing to make it look a little better. Maybe careful cleaning and some polishing/very fine sanding of bad spots and then paint it like the Anaconda Hunter with the camo paint _that's something you could do yourself without any real cost. Or just oil it so it doesnt continue to rust much more- although to me thats just a little too ugly to even shoot that way. You could also clean and polish some and do the cold blue it would look some better anyway.

If it doesnt really shoot that good ,i guess id think about refinishing it like above,because someone may still want it that doesnt care how it shoots, and if it looked a lttle more pleasing to the eye, someone would probably buy it for maybe a liitle more than you paid. Then you could at least get rid of it if its not a good shooter and maybe break even. Yo could also see what it would cost for colt to reblue. Maybe you could make a little more with a Colt reblue selling it but youd have to see if the cost/benefit works.

The most important thing is see how good it still shoots. Please post range report

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
we have finally come to the time when were starting to see old pythons that have been around the block a few times, like were used to seeing old worn SAA from the cowboy days, I would find an old set of time period grips and a old worn holster and hang her on the wall.....I like it...very COOL:cool:..........................M

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
If one were to do hardness testing (presumably using a Rockwell hardness tester), what would be the minimum hardness value required for safety when shooting .357? And what components should be tested?

My answer to refinishing cheaply would be to bead blast, Parkerize, and then apply one of the spray and bake Teflon finishes. That's a good do-it-yourself exercise resulting in a very tough and corrosion-proof finish..

·
Registered
267 Posts
blasphemous, but....

If it was mine and checked out OK I would continue to abuse it. I would shorten the barrel by cutting it right at the left edge of the "H" in Hartford. I would crown the barrel, install a front sight of the required height, zero it in, coat it with RIG, and carry it cross draw daily. :cool:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
You could send it to mag-na-port they have a coating they use called MAG-NA-LIFE it looks like stainless but its a coating its very very durable I had a Smith 29-2 done that way looks great. they could check the ROCKWELL as well..................I'D STILL HANG IT ON THE WALL...........................................M

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.