Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how other members view these events:
A member posts a WTS. I send a PM with an offer. 15 minutes later, he accepts the offer with "Sounds fair. Please confirm and I'll post it SPF". An hour later, before I respond (I had to leave for awhile) another member posts "I will take it." before I respond back and the seller sends me another PM "Didn't respond so sold to XXX...Sorry man". Am I missing something here; isn't this questionable behavior? Seems very wrong to me.
I appreciate your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't blame the seller for taking the "I'll take it." Since you had not confirmed.
Thanks for your opinion. What if I had said "I'll take it for XXX." in my PM. Would that make a difference?

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's what I do when either I'm buying or selling, I make sure my phone number is on my add or pm to seller eliminates any heartache.
Thanks. Good advice. I had that afterthought.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, if you had confirmed an "I'll take it" in your reply the seller should have issued a "SPF" after your confirmation. I had one somewhat similar this week on another forum site. I had responded to an offer to "sell or trade" with a trade FTF offer to which the seller responded "that's acceptable to me." We were working out details where to meet when he said he had gotten an "I'll take it" at his cash price and he was going with that. I was a little bit miffed but as I had not specifically provided an "I'll take it" and we were still working out details I didn't make an issue of it.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Normally a seller will state in their post the first "I'll take it" followed by a PM gets the item. If the person that got the item and they were the first to say "iI'll take it" then that would be it. When you agreed on a price you probably should have posted "I will take it" on our agreed upon price. That will make the deal crystal clear. JMHO.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ditto what he said, your failure to post an ill take it made the seller question if you were interested. I know I've had buyers be all set to buy but then they drop off the grid with no further contact. He probably figured you changed your mind. Think of it as a lesson learned.
Normally a seller will state in their post the first "I'll take it" followed by a PM gets the item. If the person that got the item and they were the first to say "iI'll take it" then that would be it. When you agreed on a price you probably should have posted "I will take it" on our agreed upon price. That will make the deal crystal clear. JMHO.

·
Registered
986 Posts
The OP made an offer but could not say "I'll take it" until the offer was accepted. He then had to step away from his computer for a time due to other commitments.
Could not an offer by a fellow forum member be considered an "I'll take it" if accepted? Could an offer made, and accepted, be considered a done deal - an internet handshake - between gentlemen of integrity?
As a dealer/seller I at least extend the courtesy to the buyer of giving him a chance to finalise the deal one way or another. I think it would not be good for my reputation to accept a deal then renege an hour later.
Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The OP made an offer but could not say "I'll take it" until the offer was accepted. He then had to step away from his computer for a time due to other commitments.
Could not an offer by a fellow forum member be considered an "I'll take it" if accepted? Could an offer made, and accepted, be considered a done deal - an internet handshake - between gentlemen of integrity?
As a dealer/seller I at least extend the courtesy to the buyer of giving him a chance to finalise the deal one way or another. I think it would not be good for my reputation to accept a deal then renege an hour later.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Tainter45...That was exactly my thinking since the seller did not post "First I'll take it" gets it. He accepted my offer, then a later offer of "I'll take it" came to him and he disregarded accepting my offer. Just seems very wrong to me. I would never do that. Thanks.

·
Registered
665 Posts
If the seller returned an acceptance of your offer, then any further sale should have been met with a SPF response from the seller.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Just the fact that we have differing opinions here tells me that due to the wording of the communications (ie: unclear intent) the sale WAS still up in the air at the time another buyer said in plain English (ie: clear intent) "I'll take it".

·
Registered
425 Posts
Thanks for your opinion. What if I had said "I'll take it for XXX." in my PM. Would that make a difference?
It would if he had agreed to your price. A persons word should be their bond.

It just didn't seem to me that your deal was sealed before he sold it elsewhere.

·
Registered
986 Posts
As dandac pointed out, there are differing opinions here on clear or unclear intent.
In this instance, if I was the seller making the decision I would certainly have taken into consideration that the buyer was a forum member with over 800 posts. Surely that counts for something in a deal between members.

I should stress that no offence is intended or criticism levelled at the seller - merely saying what I have done or would do in similar situations.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Tainter45...That was exactly my thinking since the seller did not post "First I'll take it" gets it. He accepted my offer, then a later offer of "I'll take it" came to him and he disregarded accepting my offer. Just seems very wrong to me. I would never do that. Thanks.

Ahhhhhh, John.

Methinks thou doth protest too much.....

First, let me preface by saying that this is not meant in a malicious way, merely a recounting of an event from February of this year. I hold no malice or ill will, but am simply recounting a historical incident that relates to this issue.

Do you remember a certain Colt Bicentennial Set that you were offering for sale at that time?

I do.

We went back and forth for a weekend agreeing on a price and finally did so. You accepted my offer and then we were working out shipment details. The Sunday morning of that weekend I had gone to church and was gone for a few hours prior to sending my local FFL information to you. After I sent shipment info, this is the message I received in response, verbatim from my PMs:

"Sorry, I didn't hear from you and I got a better offer this morning. If the deal doesn't happen next week, I'll get back to you.

Regards,
John"

I recall at the time being very disappointed because I really liked the set and I went back and forth between being angry and wondering what I did or didn't do to finalize the deal. It was my first experience like that EVER on the Colt Forum (after many transactions). I vowed never to be vague in any way again when purchasing something that I wanted and I filed the incident away as a good, if bothersome lesson.

It would seem that we now both know what that feels like.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
A nice clear "I'll take it" at asking price has always worked for me. If I was trying to work somebody down on the price, I would stay in constant contact until deal was done.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
It's happened to me also, I feel your pain. But, I have to agree with the majority. In this hobby it's a dog eat dog world, The seller makes the rules, he also doesn't listen to excuses. If you wanted it, you should have followed his instructions to the letter. A seller wants to move an item as quickly as possible to the buyer whom he feels he has the best communication, thus minimizing his headaches. Sorry you lost the item.

PS: Your signature couldn't be more true, especially in this day and age.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.