Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Colt SAA 45. Serial # 322XXX. It looks to have been refinished by Colt?. The color case hardening looks like it is Colts. All numbers match. It has one piece grips. I think the barrel and cylinder have been replaced. The Cylinder has a rampant colt on it. I can send high resolution pics if you ask since I'm too challenged to be able to post them.

The 2nd one is a Colt SAA 44 russian/S&W special. It is older and I think before the 44 specials time. Must have been rebarreled. It is serail # 1758XX. It has a replaced trigger guard (no serial #)and a extra screw? hole on the left side of the frame. It was my great grandfathers. He was a inventor/tinkerer in his later years. He lived on the Mississippi river from Minnesota down through Illinois and guided in his early years. (My Grandfather told me this). He came to ca in the late 40's. The barrel, Cylinder and triggerguard have mostly blue on them, The rest of the gun is grey. There are traces of the color case on the frame. I have pictures of this revolver also on request.
Any help would be appreciated. I'm not very computer litterate. I would like to know a fair price.

I can send the pics to someone and they can post them.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Send me the pics and I'll host them for you. Mail them to coltsandkimbers at yahoo dot com

·
Registered
368 Posts
Here you go... I think I got them all:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I must have missed the left side of the frame and barrel of the 44. I'll send them to you.
Thank you again. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Welcome to the forum paflo3. Just a little basic info till the rest of the photos are posted.

Serial 322690 (it's in the photos) dates to 1912. Agree with you that it has been refinished. The barrel and cylinder have been replaced and date to 1929 to 1940 if first gen. The stock/grip has been replaced...originals would have been two piece hard rubber (gutta-percha) unless special ordered. I'm assuming the first 14 photos are of this gun.

Serial 175850 dates to 1898 and as you mention has replacement triggerguard and stocks.
Suppose great grandpa did the tinkering with it? My reference shows the .44 RUSSIAN AND / S&W SPECIAL introduced in 1889...so the barrel and cylinder could be original. This reference (Cochrane with credit to Parsons) also indicates only 154 Peacemakers made in this caliber. Maybe the missing pictures will provide more info. Neat family gun. I'm assuming this gun is in the 15th photo and beyond.

Hopefully more experienced members will be along to confirm/correct/expand on the above and give you an idea of value.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, the other missing pictures are of the barrel markings and the left side of the frame. Hadn't realized the barrel could have been that old.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Here are your others:

·
Registered
376 Posts
The 44 is a very rare and special gun, dont let it go. According to Parsons only 506 44spl revolvers were produced they would also accept the Russian 44. Dedicated 44 Russian revolvers that would not take the 44spl number 154.

Wilson however states the 44 Russian and 44S&W Spl was not introduced together until 1913 at about serial 325000 so perhaps the barrel has been replaced at some time.
Its all a little confusing.!! Await the experts. I think the cylinder and barrel have possibly been changed-out at some time in the past.

There appears to be no number on the trigger guard frame which is unusual for a 175000 serial number range revolver.

Just my observations which could be totally wrong. I would still not let the 44 go under any circumstances regardless.

As to value, I am in Australia so have no idea of US prices all I know is that prices in Australia for Colts are through the roof we pay up to 33% more for 1st gen Colts here
as there are fewer of them available.

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
The 44 russian and special barrel is a later barrel than what you would have seen on a 175,xxx range gun. Note the higher profile front sight and the double stacked dual caliber marking. You see the bigger sight around 1911 and that style of caliber marking in the later teens. As in the case of the 45 it's been rebarreled somewhere along the way.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
The .44 is definitely a rebarrel and likely has been recylindered. The hole in the frame kills it for any kind of restoration, but it would still be a dandy shooter. I'd love to own it to have as a using gun, since an original Russian/Special marked gun is too valuable to use.

The rampant Colt on the .45 cylinder indicates a 2nd Gen cylinder. It is was not at all uncommon in the 50s and 60s for 1st Gen guns to be changed to a more usable caliber with 2nd Gen parts. For instance, one will commonly see what was originally a .41 Long Colt SAA turned into a .45 Colt or .38 Special with 2nd Gen parts. I see such guns quite often and have owned several. Again, they make great using guns, but their value is strictly in that. This gun has definitely been refinished, as you state, but it is a good looking job. Hard to say if Colt did it or someone else based solely on those pics, but you have a nice looking shooter.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'm beginning to think I have a warped gene or something, but I truly love these minutiae mysteries. While book learning has its place, you just can't beat hands on experience. It's a real pleasure to watch..... thanks for sharing it folks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again for posting the pics. The hole in the frame devalues it. What would be a fair price to ask for each of them. I am going to sell them. I know to a purist they are worth not much. For someone that wants to shoot them they are worth a little more. Just looking for a price to ask for or start at.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts