Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to the forums here. I have been wanting a Colt Python for a long time now. I want to purchase one for an investment piece and also something to pass down to my son. Anyways, I’ve been eyeing a couple on gunbroker and would like some feedback. I’ll post a link to the one I’m on the fence about. Is this a good revolver? Supposed to be only test fired. Has original box and paperwork. It’s a 1975. The gentleman also sent a couple more pics I email. Is the price right for this gun? Thanks!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/735050580

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
That's one hell of a turn line for a gun that's "only test fired" (which I put within quotation marks...). I guess somebody will chip in on the box, but it seems to be overpriced even if the box is legit.

Since you're a first time Python buyer: Be very careful, there's lots of overrated and overpriced guns and there's plenty of fake boxes as well. Some sellers specialize in this, and they normally cater to inexperienced buyers wanting to "make an investment". Don't get sucked in.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
For that kind of money the Python should be in better condition. Be patient...there's lots of Pythons out there and they aren't rare. Don't "get the fever" and jump on the first one you see. The right one will come along.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would an Elite (99-03) be a better investment? Also I found a 1980 one that is perfect on bluing and wood with no box for $2,900. Is that high? Should I find one with the box?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I second what other members have stated; be patient and be careful whom you purchase from. Learn as much about Pythons from reading previously posted threads. I’m no expert but I doubt that a 1975 Python came with that manual and plastic sleeve attached to the foam insert. As mentioned for that kind of price you can do better. For example look at Gunbroker auction # 699701454 from forum Lumberjack. That’s what I would expect in that price range.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Olle is correct. That cylinder shows a few trips around the frame!

BTW, I bought my 6" blued 7 years ago from a dealer for $800. However, the next year or so it really jumped in price. But, I am sure you can do better than $3000+ !!

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
To my amateur way of thinking, an investment piece should be the same as a museum piece, that is, brand new, never to be actually used as a firearm. Something that will hopefully pay back large $$. (Don't hold your breath....)
That is not to say that a decent shooter won't always retain good value, but investments should be considered differently.
There are ways to improve your lot, and the lot for your heirs that don't include speculation on the potential earning capacity of firearms.
You can do what you want; it's your money.
My advice would be to buy a decent shooter, shoot the livin' daylights out of the thing, enjoy it for what it is, and put your money in a solid spot elsewhere. For example, if you stack just a measly 10% of your net worth somewhere at least half-smart (over and above your retirement projection) during your earning years, you will be light years ahead, your boys can still have a Python that they cannot wreck that will always have value, and you will not have bleeped away good money.
Jes' sayin'.
There are tons of Pythons.
You ought to be able to get hold of something decent for reasonable cost.(Not 3 grand or more)

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
For that kind of money the Python should be in better condition. Be patient...there's lots of Pythons out there and they aren't rare. Don't "get the fever" and jump on the first one you see. The right one will come along.
Wise words! Patience is indeed a virtue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have no issue with waiting. How do I know if the right one comes along? Should I get one that has the box and paperwork? I am keeping an eye on gunbroker under lumberjack2 and keystone arms. On the OP gunbroker link the guy sent me clear pictures of this gun and it looks to be flawless. He states there isn’t any marks or scratches. The wood looks great too. I tried to upload them but it wouldn’t let me. I will keep an eye out. Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm in full agreement with the answers you are getting. There are enough Pythons out there that you can get a nice gun for a reasonable price. You will be wise to stick with reputable dealers such as the ones you mentioned (Lumberjack and Keystone). They don't sell junk and they always start their auctions out with no reserve. Just watch and learn for a while. And you will gain a great education watching.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I wouldn't be looking at a Python as an "investment" in the current market. It seems to me that we are at or slightly past the peak. Prices seem to be softening up and there are a ton of them for sale at high prices that just sit. I think in a year or so prices will be down.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Investment Pythons for me would only be a 3 digit or lower serial number in excellant condition and original. Those particular Pythons continue to appreciate, but will also cost you some serious $$$$ to obtain it. Otherwise, like everyone else has said, Pythons are a dime a dozen, but an excellant piece of machinery. Just my $.02

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,609 Posts
If you want a pure investment Python, you should get one with the original box and all paperwork that came with it.
Some earlier Pythons had test targets and a circular Colt stamped screwdriver.
For investment ALL of that should be there, and the gun should be an actual unfired gun.

Since most Pythons have been fired, finding one actually unfired will be very expensive and hard to find.
Note that all Colt revolvers were test fired at the factory so they will show signs of that test. This makes it hard to be positive a gun hasn't been "test fired" by a previous owner.
"Test fired" can mean six shots to any number of boxes of ammo. As long as a seller is good at deep cleaning a gun it can be very difficult to tell which it is.

As above, stick with known honest sellers like the two listed above.

What you're going to have to do is educate yourself about the Python as it was made over the 50 years of production.
There were minor changes in the guns, grips, and especially in the boxes, end labels, and paperwork shipped in the box with the gun.
A good bit of searches and reading on this forum will be the best source of info.
There are posts on "correct" grips, boxes, end labels, and everything else. READ THEM.

Note that fakes and counterfeits abound.
One notorious source in Sparta Tenn, sells replica Colt items of all sorts and is constantly branching out to more and more.
Ads are often artfully worded to allow you to fool yourself that they're original Colt made items.
You can buy fake boxes and fake end labels and make up an "original new Python" with ease.
You have to know what a fake or suspect box and label look like, and you have to remember that it can be hard to detect a phony just by looking at pictures on the internet.

For this reason go with a reputable dealer and pay the price to get what you want.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I wouldn't be looking at a Python as an "investment" in the current market. It seems to me that we are at or slightly past the peak. Prices seem to be softening up and there are a ton of them for sale at high prices that just sit. I think in a year or so prices will be down.
That ship sailed 15-20 years ago. And many of those who "invested" 4-5 years ago are probably regretting it now.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I was able to acquire a shooter's grade Python that I am not afraid in getting out of the safe and running several boxes of magnum rounds though it every range day. If I ever wanted to sell the gun I'm sure the value will not falter much as there are many buyers out there. It is much more worthwhile to get something you can actually enjoy in the daylight and use as intended not just as an investment or safe queen. Of course some people have other ideas and would want something that is a bit more valuable and rarer and that's fine also. I find precious metal and coins a bit more collectable than firearms.

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
If I was in your shoes, I would find a common blued 6”. your going to make far more memories by going out and shooting it with your son than owning a gun “too” nice to shoot. It may take some searching, but a common 4 or 6” blued python with minor shooting wear are still being found around 2K. Some sellers believe a box and paperwork adds $500 to the guns price, it’s up to you the buyer, if your that enthusiastic about paper and foam.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
That's one hell of a turn line for a gun that's "only test fired" (which I put within quotation marks...). I guess somebody will chip in on the box, but it seems to be overpriced even if the box is legit.

Since you're a first time Python buyer: Be very careful, there's lots of overrated and overpriced guns and there's plenty of fake boxes as well. Some sellers specialize in this, and they normally cater to inexperienced buyers wanting to "make an investment". Don't get sucked in.
For the average Joe, it could take years or decades to become proficient due to the level of scamming and overall rampant internet conjecture that has taken over the Colt market. The best you can do is seek out people who are actually knowledgeable and have no vested interests in their advice, and learn from them. The biggest thing is to NOT buy Pythons for investment. I fully believe in the distant future the only really valuable Pythons will be 1950's examples. The rest just aren't the quality they are claimed to be, and therefore not worth the current prices.

Not much to invest in for a situation like that. Best bet is to find a nice shooter to enjoy with your son and not worry about how much it cost or how much value it may lose from your usage. Average Joe never gets the money out of his guns that "popular" and "reputable" online specializers get too.

Much to learn. Good luck.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you all for the great advice. I will and want to continue to learn about these guns. I’d really like to own one for sure. Thanks guys.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts