Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Billie enjoyed shooting his old Colt's. In the late 1970's we managed a gun shop that had progressive re-loading machines and an indoor range so shooting an hour every day was a common occurrence. One morning Billie opened the "not for sale" showcase that held a group of his favorite shooters and pulled out his 7-1/2" New Service Target .44. He disappeared to the reloading room and returned with a small plastic tub which held a couple dozen .44 special re-loads. I recall thinking that he wasn't in the reloading room long enough to reload a half box. Instead, he found these .44 rounds already loaded and figured he'd save some time and shoot these. He would never again shoot a reload that he didn't load himself.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
That can be repaired. With a little bit of glue.

Reactions: BigG

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Would he want to sell the Stocks on that?? I have the same gun, but need a set of original Stocks. I think I'd scream if that happened to mine !!

·
Premium Member
4,644 Posts
I saw an accident very similar to that happen several years ago at a local indoor range. A modern Smith & Wesson 629 was destroyed when firing "someone else's reloads". The top strap came off completely and was found stuck in the ceiling. Fortunately, the shooter was not severely injured. I will never, never, never fire someone else's reloads.

- - - Buckspen

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Hopefully no human was injured during the unexpected rapid disassembly of that fine old piece.
KBs can happen.
The probability of any type of accident can be minimized if folks would go heads up in every phase of shooting, especially when handling reloaded ammo of unknown origin.
Safe, good shooting loads might be great in someone else's gun, and a grenade in yours, and vice versa.
If you share reloads with anyone, always work up the load for the intended firearm, and stay well within the recommended specs to start.
Be safe, boys.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
A number of years back I bought two boxes of 30 Mauser from a small shop here in Florida for my Broomhandle. Somebody who reloads sold them to the dealer. Afterward it dawned on me that I had no clue as to how well or safely those rounds had been made. I've never tried them and don't plan on it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Oh Heavenly Father, I Thank Thee for leading Me to the single stage RCBS press, where I must visually check all of My charges, before seating any of thy projectiles, Amen! :)

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Kaboom pics from other forums. Most due to bad handloading, double charge and wrong powder.

Sig P239:

XD:

Marlin:

HK:

Walther P22:

Colt:

Ruger:

Beretta 96:

Colt .44 Anaconda:

Charter Arms .38

S&W

and a Judge:

S&W 629

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I thought the open top revolvers were only made in the late 1800's? Any how if you lick the ends of the broken parts and place them together before your moistend part dries it will hold tight. All jokes aside the guys shooting these guns, I hope they didn't get hurt. I have nothing against shooting reloads but I personally stick to factory loads and nothing else. In case this occures to me I want some one else to pay for my gun.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.