Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a very nice OP in the safe for about 3 years. Just today I checked the serial number and found it was made in late 43 early 44. It has brown plastic grips in very good condition. Inside the crane a small capitol L is stamped above the serial number and a large capitol M is stamped below it. No military marking on the revolver that I am familiar with. Bore and chambers are perfect locks up like a vault and has a very smooth DA pull. I would have to rate it at about 85to90% but I am not that good of a judge of finish,doesn't appear to be a reblue. I am not able to post photos yet. Any rough ideas what it might be worth. I bought it as a shooter but don't know if I should use it much if it may have some collector value. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Without seeing the serial number(minus the last 2 digits replaced with "x's' if you prefer,I won't be able to tell if the gun was shipped to a civilian police force or defense plant. Most O.P.s made durung the war had walnut socks,not the plastic Coltwood,as found.on the "gray finished" Commandos-but they could have used up their supply of wood stocks at the factory,as most O.P.s made after the war had the plastic ones. Are any serial numbers "scratched" on the underside of one of the grips(stocks)?

The L means it was "lined up" just by "eyeballing" the alignment of rear sight groove and front sight. Those guns with a "T" instead of an L,were shot,and any corrections in front/rear sight alignment made to zero in the piece.

The M is the inspector/assemblers mark.

What is the barrel length from front of cylinder to muzzle??

Is the gun ALL blue.or is the trigger guard,grip straps and top of frame done in a flat or "matte" finish?

These are great guns,probably,at least in my opinion,(for what it is worth!)the best standard duty weight .38 Special revolvers ever made.

Hope this helps a little,

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Administrator
7,303 Posts
85-90% finish makes it the perfect shooter . While it's still collectable , shooting it won't hurt the value as it's not pristine . Why not enjoy it ?

I'm guessing there is an Ordinance insignia "flaming bomb" proof stamp on the top strap or LH side on the side plate above the cylinder release latch ?

As for value , a couple good photo's would help . I'd estimate $250 -350 .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No ord. stamps anywhere that I can find. Will try to find a camera and post pictures. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
My 1943 O.P. with heavy barrel,also has NO ordinance stamps also.

Most DSC(Defense Supplies Corporation) guns,or those purchased on a dept. letterhead, did not!

Bud

1 - 5 of 5 Posts