Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did Colt continue to produce civilian guns during WW II? I looked up several revolvers here:

http://www.proofhouse.com/colt/index.html

and I have a PPS .38 special built in 1942 and an OP .32-20 built in 1943. I can understand the PPS, as it could be considered a police or security weapon, but I would have thought the .32-20 would have already been dropped.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Gil; Not to sound like Bill Clinton asking for the definition of "is"?-but "civilian guns"??

Yes,Colt did turn out revolvers,with commercial finishes,and while the bulk of Det. Spec. and O.Police wartime production went to "agencies",some of these 1942-45 serialed # guns have NO ownership marks on them;like a 1943 6" Heavy Barrel O. Police I have.

While the 32/20 chambering sadly was NOT revived in 1946 in the P.P.S. and O.P.,I "suspect" that there were still numerous bbls. and cylinders in the drawers and bins at Hartford.

As a fellow 32/20 fan,you know just how popular that round was with more than a few police departments,so I would "suspect"(again!) that it would NOT have been a big deal for an LEO,or someone "connected" to get a new revolver during the war.

As an aside,and again another one of my "theories",I have found those few Colt "civilian",with commercial finish, made in the 4 years of war,are some of the finest assembled and fitted Colts that I have handled/own. Just think that som eof the older, 30-40 years experience craftsmen at Colt,just couldn't or wouldn't bend their skills to wartime assembly line techniques,so handled the "few" non military pieces that went out.

Over on the "other Forum",we have at least one "expert" saying that S&W did NOT repair or refinish any civilian guns during the war. Well,"B.S."! Just like the commercial trucks and heavy equipment factories,during the war,while their NEW production went to the military/and Govt.,they had to EXPAND the factory repair centers during the war to keep "the old timers rolling". Colt and S&W did the same,but probably on a priority basis.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This OP I bought is a FINE shooter; just didn't expect to find a '43 production date.

As to S&W doing work during the war years, my 1926 .44 3rd HE has a 2.42 stamp and when I asked Roy Jinks about it, he said that S&W kept right on repairing and refinishing during the war .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts