Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was a 3 \" Nickel Combat Python Made???

I thought that the Combat Python was a Lew Horton Item and came in Blue -----and that the nickel 3" would be simply marked Python ,...,Does anyone know for certain ? Thanks !

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Re: Was a 3 \" Nickel Combat Python Made???

Why, are ya watchin' one ?
Pretty pricey and no letter.
I would be hard pressed to take a chance on it with-out the letter.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I know that you know- where it is -*****as does everyone else----------it sure is pretty!!!!!!!!!!
But I don't think Combats were made in Nickel----

·
Registered
6,801 Posts

Notice that the seller makes no mention that this is factory nickel, only that it is rare. Well, you can modify anything and make it 'rare.' Also, it is conveniently missing the box and paperwork.

First one I've seen.

·
Registered
324 Posts

I like the blue 3" Python better. You know the one....so unusual that the numbered box is marked as a 2 1/2" Python! Those crazy factory slip-ups!
I'd buy a nice fake if the price was right, but unfortunately the price is wrong!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

seller cancelled the auction --------and admitted by email not real ----------------then he said how about $1850 !!!!! What is that word,,, CAJONES!!!!! .......
UPDATE **********sold for $2000------------unreal!

·
Registered
14 Posts

The 3" Combat Python was available in blue or nickel. I own two in nickel. Both NIB. I purchased one of them at the local gunshop when they first showed up on the market. My dad liked it so much that he bought one for himself. He passed away in '97 and left me his gun in his will.

The "regular" 3" Python was available in both finishes too. I own two in nickel. Both NIB. These were purchased from a friend of a friend that bought them new. A divorce forced him to sell and I was at the right place at the right time.

The 3" Python is one of the most faked modern guns that I know of. Boxes, end labels, and even Colt letters are being faked so be VERY careful when shelling out big bucks for one.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I have a Python, blued that has a 3" combat barrel. I KNOW it is not original but it's a very nice revolver 90%+. What would it's value be?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts

Impossible to say.

Theoretically, it should be worth LESS than any other Python because it's not factory original, and in way too many cases the people switching the barrels had no idea of how to fit a revolver barrel.

There's a high percentage chance that many of these Pythons will have bent or even cracked frames, and the chances of the new 3" barrel having been properly installed and adjusted are slim.

There's a LOT more to installing a revolver barrel than just getting it screwed on with the front sight properly aligned.
Most people don't know this, or simply don't have the necessary tools to fit and adjust it, so probably MOST of these non-factory 3" re-barrel jobs are more than likely not right.

With that said, with the craze for 3" Pythons, original or not, it's very possible even a fake will bring high prices.
Look at the above post about the price brought by a phony.

All you could do it put it up for auction and see what it'll bring.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Thank you for your input. Years ago I found a new 3"'combat' barrel for $75 at a gun show and had an 8" that I never used so I sent both to Mark @ Pinnacle. It was professionally installed and I now have a very nice revolver that I use.

·
Registered
188 Posts

Now its _only_ $1500 for an admitted fake ... ouch.

$1500 = 1/3 of his investment? He paid $4500 for it? ... I think I'd do a little research before I dropped $4500 on a gun. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

1 - 12 of 12 Posts