Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a reply to an earlier thread a respected member indicated that it was a model 57. This week on an episode of TV's " Gun Stories" it was described at length as a model 29. I do not have answer only the question.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dirty Harry (Harry Callahan) specifies, "This is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head cleeeeeeeeeeeeeean off."

·
Registered
35 Posts
It was a 29 as written, however little known fact was in the close up shots they used a M25 .45LC because it filmed with a better impression!

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I have always heard that Callahan used a 44 magnum but that the prop guys couldn't find one so a Model 57 served as a stand-in for the Model 29 until they got ahold of one.
Maybe it's internet fiction, maybe not.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
In Magnum Force, I always thought he was discussing his "competition" load of choice because the officers were going to compete in a police match. That's where the light .44 special vs .357 wadcutter load discussion originated, practicing at the indoor range in advance of the match. Otherwise, what Harry was capping off toward the bad guys sure as hell wasn't any mid-range .44 spcl load! KAAAAAABOOOOM!!! :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Any big bore revolver like a .44 or .45 is intimidating as you can see the bullet looking back at you.

·
Registered
482 Posts
As is common with movies, several revolvers were used by Dirty Harry. One of them, definitely a Model 29, is on display at the NRA National Firearms Museum (closed during the current unpleasantness but which will, hopefully, reopen sometime this decade...).

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I am no authority and can only repeat what I read... https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0066999/trivia

"Dirty Harry's gun is supposedly a Smith & Wesson Model 29 revolver, chambered for a .44 Magnum cartridge. In this movie, the gun is shown as being capable of sending assailants flying through the air, even when shot from a distance, however, in reality, the gun does not produce such dramatic results. Additionally, the .44 Magnum round is not considered to be a practical caliber for urban police force use due to recoil (which makes target re-acquisition difficult) and over-penetration issues, which greatly increases the likelihood of the bullet going through its target and injuring bystanders. (Harry, of course, is a renegade officer, and presumably the .44 is his own gun, not police property.) The actual gun used on set by Clint Eastwood was in fact a Smith & Wesson Model 29. It is a common misconception that a Model 29 could not be located, and a Model 57, chambered in .41 Magnum, was used instead. Clint Eastwood contacted Bob Sauer, representative for Smith & Wesson, to acquire the pistol. The Model 29 had been in production up until the late 1990s, but several pistols were assembled from parts at the factory, and provided to the crew. Eastwood took one to a firing range to familiarize himself with the Model 29."

·
Registered
40 Posts
I used to carry S&W Mod. 29-2 with an 8 3/8" barrel in a pocket holster in my right front pants pocket. Once I hit the thumb safety and grip safety at the same time. Revolver fired and a 180 gr. hollow point .44 Mag Super Vel ricocheted off my nut sack. Made my eyes water. Hurt for 2 days.

·
Registered
671 Posts
It was a 29 as written, however little known fact was in the close up shots they used a M25 .45LC because it filmed with a better impression!
Okay. So Jim Supica, John Milius, Clint Eastwood, and Roy Jinks (renowned S&W historian) have all stated, many times, that an M29 with 6.5" barrel was THE ONLY gun, well 2 were used, in the movies, other than a promotional poster shot featuring an 8 3/8" barrel M29. So I will go with the guys who actually handled, and know, what gun was used. If you watch Dirty Harry during the street shoot out scene, the side of the barrel is visible in a "close up shot" (when he is pointing it at the guy laying on the ground). It clearly shows the lettering .44 Magnum. But to be curious, how does a pistol with a bore diameter of 43 thousandth of an inch largeradd a better impression? By the way, the M25 in .45 Colt came out almost 10 years after Dirty Harry was filmed.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
I used to carry S&W Mod. 29-2 with an 8 3/8" barrel in a pocket holster in my right front pants pocket. Once I hit the thumb safety and grip safety at the same time. Revolver fired and a 180 gr. hollow point .44 Mag Super Vel ricocheted off my nut sack. Made my eyes water. Hurt for 2 days.
Grip safety and thumb safety on a 29? Not to mention it ricocheted? April 1st was yesterday. :confused: :p

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
459459 said:
I am no authority and can only repeat what I read... https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0066999/trivia

"Dirty Harry's gun is supposedly a Smith & Wesson Model 29 revolver, chambered for a .44 Magnum cartridge. "
All good. But here is an interesting tidbit from the same link. More of them there.

"All of the blanks for Harry's gun had to be made especially for this movie, as the standard 5-in-1 blanks used in most movies do not fit a Smith & Wesson .44 Magnum chamber.

5 in 1 blanks do indeed work just fine n a 44 mag. A 41 mag will not take a 5 in 1 blank. No question every movie after Dirty Harry in that series with Eastwood they used Model 29s. One might ask when Eastwood got his gun, while making the 29 famous. I wasn't there just repeating what I was told by prop people that were. When someone tells me they made 41 magnum blanks by hand for Dirty Harry I believe them.

Here is some additional entertainment. At least someone there (here) is convinced it was always a Model #29 :)

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/mythbuster-dirty-harry-did-not-carry-44-magnum.146131/

Don Siegal directed DIRTY HARRY.
John Milius (uncredited screen writer for Dirty Harry) is a serious gun guy. In fact he rewrote Dirty Harry in part trade for a 44 Magnum from the Studio. And no doubt John Milius was given one of "the movie" series Model 29s.

There were 5 movies in the Series.

Dirty Harry (1971)

Magnum Force (1973)

The Enforcer (1976)

Sudden Impact (1983)

The Dead Pool (1988

Milius was given credit as part of the writing team on one film, Magnum Force. If I were to guess having worked on set, there would have to be at least 15 if not 25 Dirty Harry Model 29s and may be a Model 57 or two. Just a guess :)

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Any big bore revolver like a .44 or .45 is intimidating as you can see the bullet looking back at you.
Agreed, but the business end of a 22lr looks pretty big too when pointed in the wrong direction. I read years ago that there were three 29’s used in the filming of the first movie. Two 6.5” guns and one 8.375” gun. The longer barreled gun was used for camera shots at a certain angle. Of the two 6.5” guns there’s a scene where Harry loses control of his weapon and you can hear it sliding along the concrete/asphalt. Nobody seems to know where that gun finally ended up after filming was completed.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
smutt said:
….Nobody seems to know where that gun finally ended up after filming was completed.
If one were to believe everything we read, John Milius has one, Eastwood another, Museums at least a third and a hollyweird prop master is still using a 4th.

I think it was Jesse James' Mother that invented that game. Bat Masterson turned it in an art form :)

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
LOL. Yeah, big bore revolvers do look very intimidating from the business end. Looking through the muzzle and the chambers on a .44 Mag would probably make you reconsider whatever you were planning to do.

·
Registered
224 Posts
LOL. Yeah, big bore revolvers do look very intimidating from the business end. Looking through the muzzle and the chambers on a .44 Mag would probably make you reconsider whatever you were planning to do.
I would even whistle Dixie. Oops, wrong movie.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts