Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Don't think it was a real Fitz. While Cabela's people aren't always the brightest bulbs in the box, on questionable big money pieces they do have some experts. If it was real, it would have been stated and the VP mark would have been shown. A letter would have been present along with a much healthier price tag. Looks like a well done clone.

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
Not a J.H. Fitzgerald piece. No finish left either. It looks lousy. I wouldn't pay over $300 for that gun, and that's if it worked correctly.
It's hard to believe they got $520 for that gun. P.T. Barnum said it best.......

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
It's sad to see any fine old Colt butchered into a so called "Fitz special"...Even the ones actually done by the Colt employed Fitzgerald, were simply fine guns that were turned into mangled and unsafe hunks of ugly steel. That said, anyone can do anything he pleases to his own property, but in my humble opinion, converting any fine Colt revolver into a Fitz special is akin to putting a Continental kit on a 57 Ford convertible, if anyone remembers how terrible that looked...:)

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
How 'bout mine? Not quite 'fitzed', one I got with messed-up front sight I decided to use to gratify an old yearning. If anyone cares, the only pieces I do my 'modifications' to are bubba victims or other distress. Some, I do my best to restore them to near original as practical.
Also had to repair the right side grip.

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
Robert, yours has class. Muddy's and Twaits' one in the link is not bad either.
The first one I might use as a small boat anchor.

Larry, I am glad you didn't have the chance to spend $500 + for that gun.

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
Wow, over $500 bucks. As much as I'd like to get one (not totally "Fitz'd... I really like the photo here of rhmc24's big old' NS) afraid that one wouldn't have been of interest at all. I have a potential candidate sitting in the safe but just can't bring myself to start having someone whittle on the barrel.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
I don't think they are really that unsafe. Long heavy DA pull. I don't see how it could just "go off" if thats the only thing in your pocket.
How is it any worse than one of these which are in production still?

Double Action Derringers

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
It's sad to see any fine old Colt butchered into a so called "Fitz special"...Even the ones actually done by the Colt employed Fitzgerald, were simply fine guns that were turned into mangled and unsafe hunks of ugly steel. That said, anyone can do anything he pleases to his own property, but in my humble opinion, converting any fine Colt revolver into a Fitz special is akin to putting a Continental kit on a 57 Ford convertible, if anyone remembers how terrible that looked...:)
i gotta agree, especially the remark about the continental kit.
i thought i was the only one.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I don't think they are really that unsafe. Long heavy DA pull. I don't see how it could just "go off" if thats the only thing in your pocket.
How is it any worse than one of these which are in production still?

Double Action Derringers[/QUOTE}

If the New Service has a pull anywhere near my New Army/Navy, the "Fitz" mods couldn't be unsafe. I swear the DA pull on that Army/Navy comes in at 140lbs, 1oz. I think it's that ounce that puts it over the top.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
If I read it correctly it had a frosted bore????? Well how bad is it frosted?
I'd pass without any looking back.
Frank

·
Registered
781 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Rhmc, nice job and very useful gun. I like big bore snubs. I have a real "Fitz" and it is in quite good condition-meaning it will never be shot by me. I have a cut down military Colt with a 3" barrel that works just fine for packing. Of course the new Smith N frame snubs are a world better, but they have the advantage of a century of research over the Colts.
As to safety, I stand on my position that any weapon that has had a safety device such as a trigger guard altered is inherently unsafe. There is a reason it is call a trigger guard. Fitz opened them up because he was a trick shooter and maybe saved a very small amount of time. Farther back than I care to remember I met a Texas lawman who had his Smith trigger guard altered so he could "fan" the trigger of his wheelgun. He was incredibly fast(and accurate), that revolver ripped off six shots faster than any machine gun I ever heard. A few years later it went boom while he was reholstering it, shot himself in the foot-literally. If one handles weapons enough, there is going to be an unintended bang in your future. We just hope when it happens to us we have the basic (weapon pointing in a safe direction) rule covered. I woud not pack a gun with an open front trigger guard, and I won't let any of my guys do it either. All it takes is ONCE-just ONCE.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I went and looked at that cut down .45 acp at the Hoffman Estates, Illinois Cabelas. It's horrible. The muzzle was hacksawed at an angle and poor finished with virtually no re-crowning. The entire top strap has been machined down and there is no sight channel at all. The front sight looks lousy, there is no finish, the gun is completely wobbly, not tight lock up or anything else. The very worn grips don't fit at all. A friend was there and sent me a camera phone picture of it so I stopped it a couple weeks later just to look. $519? Are they kidding? I wouldn't buy it for $25, it's that scary.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Wasn't Fitzgeralds nickname "Hacksaw"? A good thing the Dremel wasn't available at that time. Hard telling what would have been butchered.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts