Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have seen a lot of guns over the years that look really good when waxed. People usually give out various different waxes to use. Rennaisance Wax is one of the more common suggestions and I found some for sale the other day at a Wood Working store so I decided to give it a try.

Is there a trick or technique for waxing a gun? I waxed down my SAA and I just am not quite able to get the look to the SAA I have seen on other guns that have been waxed. I am thinking I am buffing the wax too much and taking it off, but I don't really feel like I am.

Anyway, any tips or hints on how to get a gun to have that really nice waxed look?

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
The Colt Forum has long been a proponent of the Ren Wax - me too, i love the stuff. Just follow the directions, apply sparingly and buff gently with a soft cloth. I find that a microfiber cloth works best for me. :cool:

·
Registered
404 Posts
I use the less expensive wax: Johnson Paste Floor Wax...............no cleaners, etc.

I use a soft tooth brush to VERY SPARINGLY apply the was into all the nooks and crannies. You can watch and see when the was is and is not. I then let it dry for an hour or so before taking a shoe polish brush (the 3 inch by 6 inch type) and scrub it thoroughly to get off all the wax I can see. Finally take a shoe shine rag and buff it until it shines.

Nice thing about wax is fingerprints don't show as they do with oil and the stuff last about 6 months before I have to do it again.

Have fun...........

·
Registered
VIGILANT CURMUDGEON
160 Posts
Cotton balls & Q-tips .. Serve as good applicators for the distribution of Ren. Wax...
Goddards
fine funiture wax may be used for the wooden stocks = lemon oil or wax is in it.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK I am still getting it wrong. I rubbed down with alcohol and then applied wax. Let it sit for 1 hour then buffed with microfiber cloth. Still leaves fingerprints on guns.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I think the directions say not to leave it on . It dries immediately . Make sure to get all the products you use to clean the bore and cylinder off by using alcohol or one of the spray cleaners out there . Use just your finger tip ( do NOT use a rag over your finger tip ) to spread the wax over the revolver ( you will know when to use more wax by using your finger tip ) . Remove with a Micofiber cloth

...................................................... I put at least 3 coat on so finger prints do not show up .

................................................................................................................................................................................. I use to put a coat on every night on my Diamondback . The revolver finish was unbelievable . Ren Wax in a great product .

If you eat fried chicken then handle your revolver , you will still get finger prints on it even if you use Ren Wax .

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
OK I am still getting it wrong. I rubbed down with alcohol and then applied wax. Let it sit for 1 hour then buffed with microfiber cloth. Still leaves fingerprints on guns.

I had the same problem. I like the wax on nickel guns-that's what I use it on- BUT I had to apply at least 4 to 5 times and rub with a microfiber cloth over and over so fingerprints didn't show.

Maybe heating up the surface first is the key? I didn't try that.

I used it on a couple nickel det spl's. I meticulously cleaned the surface BEFORE I put the wax on ,but it still took several (I lost track) applications before I could press my finger against the side plate and NOT get any fingerprints. I takes a lot of time and patience.

I tried it on a blued revolver but went back to oil cause I thought it looked better after oil and then cheap walmart microfiber cloth rub.
down.

I like the results on nickel guns the best BUT it is takes a lot of applications before NO fingerprints show up.

I agree with you -If someone can offer the simple "trick" to NO FINGERPRINTS then I'm all ears

I bought the famous Selvt clothes for polishing fine jewelry and fine guns. They were very expensive and made in England. They were pretty good at polishing but I wasn't OVERLY impressed.
I went to Walmart and bought some cheap microfiber,yellow colored polishing clothes in the auto dept. Of course they were made in china,but I bought them anyway cause they were cheap,and I was curious (after reading about them here on the forum).
I was amazed at how beautiful my '81 Python looked after using them on it. It was STUNNING. So, I don't like the fact that they are made in china with $1/hr slave labor But they are really good. If you have to pay a union worker $20/hr or more to make them here -well that pretty much tells the story why we cant get them here.
the fact is they are better than the selvt cloth.
The real pain is I can't find them at Walmart anymore-wouldn't you know it the one thing I found at walmart that I liked, is no longer.

·
Registered
758 Posts
"The real pain is I can't find them at Walmart anymore-wouldn't you know it the one thing I found at walmart that I liked, is no longer."

You can find the micro-fiber cloths at "Sams Club" or at some auto parts stores. Cheaper at Sams.........

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
I would have to agree with you there Mike. This stuff is the greatest wax in the world and I apply it the very same way as you do. With my index finger.

The key with Renaissance Wax is to not let it dry to long before lightly buffing.

When I first considered Renaissance Wax many years ago I spoke with a friend of mine who is one of the curators at the R.O.M. here in Ontario, Canada. That's the Royal Ontario Museum. He told me then that Renaissance Wax is what they use and that was good enough for me.

One word of caution to those considering paste wax. Most paste waxes have chemicals in them that I wouldn't want on my ivory stocks or even wooden stocks for that matter. Also, paste wax builds up and many will turn yellow over time. Renaissance Wax will not discolor, ever.

Hundreds of museums around the world can't be wrong.

Bud

The only thing I can add is that other than using the product sparingly apply the wax with finger pressure ONLY.It gives a great shine and offers protection.

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
As you know Bob, I live up here in the cold cold north country and Renaissance Wax doesn't seem to be a problem at all. I've shot a lot of my guns (the Ruger Super Blackhawks especially) in sub zero (-30 F) and the gun functions perfectly. My Colt Gov. models are also no problem when coated with Renaissance Wax. It's such a thin layer, that I doubt it would ever be an issue Bob.

Bud

Can you use the wax in very cold weather? Will it gum up or harden?

Bob Wright

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.