Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
This one had been local too long and rode home with me. a quick hundred rounds of 9mm ball ammo it. I shoot pretty good with it. Like the grips and brass insert front sight. Series 70
anyone else have one? I don鈥檛 think they made a whole bunch of this model.. not sure. Made in April 2017

Registered
I have a full-size Wiley Clapp Government model and their full-stainless Commander in .45 ACP. Of course you know that Colt developed the Lightweight Commander for the 9mm round and they go together like peas and carrots. I really like the 9 on those grip panels, too.

Although TBH I am not a fan of the Wiley Clapp grips, I like to have the checkering up higher for better purchase. I changed mine out. I love the front strap checkering and the Novak sights, though - so much that I sent my Combat Commander to Novak to have the same sights installed - medium notch rear and front brass bead.

Frankly I'm a little envious and will have to give the 9mm Lightweight Commander a hard look.....

Registered
I have a full-size Wiley Clapp Government model and their full-stainless Commander in .45 ACP. Of course you know that Colt developed the Lightweight Commander for the 9mm round and they go together like peas and carrots. I really like the 9 on those grip panels, too.

Although TBH I am not a fan of the Wiley Clapp grips, I like to have the checkering up higher for better purchase. I changed mine out. I love the front strap checkering and the Novak sights, though - so much that I sent my Combat Commander to Novak to have the same sights installed - medium notch rear and front brass bead.

Frankly I'm a little envious and will have to give the 9mm Lightweight Commander a hard look.....
Nice pickup there! For me it is off by one number! :) :) :) You should know from our discussions what that is.

Registered
I have a WC LWC 9mm from 2017 too. I really like the looks of the grips but I shoot it better with a pair of scalloped G10 grips, the stock grips are too slick for me. The brass bead works well outdoors but my eyes don't adjust to the bead very well when shooting indoors with lower lighting. It was a bit of a rattler when I got it but with a little spring adjustment the rattle is almost gone. This lightweight commander is easy to handle.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. The little barcode code tag indicated an April 2017 manufacturer date. I just read where Talo actually put the gun out with Colt and website says it released aprox 200 in April 2017. Don鈥檛 know if that was it or there were more later.
mine is a rattler too.
I might opt for a set of VZ鈥檚 too. The stocks are so cool looking that I鈥檇 for sure ding the checkering in the grip if used much.
i shot my colt custom competition 45acp yesterday too. Comes with fiber optic front sight. Don鈥檛 like the looks, but it鈥檚 certainly much more functional than the bead sight. That is an accurate gun. I like the looks and feel of this 9mm WC commander More though.

Banned
Nice. I do want to get one of those in the future. I have its big older brother in 45 and from 2013. It has the loved/hated FCS on it.
I have an XSE LW Commander from 2015 and it has been great. It looks like Colt is still using the smaller diameter barrel on these if I am seeing it correctly. Below is my 2015 in 9mm (9x19) on the left and my 2009 XSE LW Commander in 38 Super (9x23SR) on the right.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #13
Mine came with a letter stating it was shipped on 12/5/2017. It has 0290 in the S#. I would be interested to know how many they made.
I did not notice a letter with mine. Mine is serial 0091. On Talo鈥檚 website it stated they released 200 April 2017 , but did not say how many total were made or planned to be made.

Registered
I think TALO sells a limited number to see how well they sell. If it sells out quick and there seems to be a demand they'll order more. The second run may not come with as complete a package as the first run. Maybe they don't want to invest as much in case they get stuck with some once demands dries up.

Reactions: what would you say

Registered
It is still listed on the Colt website but shown as out of stock. One could add it to a watch list is desired on their site. I have the 45ACP version made in 2013 with FCS. The fit and finish on it are nice but it is the third one I looked at in LGSs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts