Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined here 2 weeks ago when I was offered a Python by a friend of a friend who needed some quick cash. I'm very happy with the Python and have been loading some 38 Spc and 357 Mag loads to shoot at the range this weekend. So this morning my wife is expecting her father to stop by and visit before I go to the range and he pops in and says "hey I brought you something". He pulls out a pistol case and hands me a Colt Trooper 357 Mag with a 4" barrel. I looked it over and other than the ring around the cylinder it is beautiful. Then he tells us my wife's mother had purchased this for him 40 years ago for $400 and he has never shot it, although he has kept it at home or in his car for many years. I guess it will be given to my wife at some point but for now he just asked if we want to take it to the range and let him know how it shoots :D heck yeah!!

Anyhow, I looked up the serial number but I am not 100% positive it is a 1970, the serial is J402XX. The one thing I was surprised to see is the hammer appears to have a case hardened finish to it, not blue. Is this normal for this model or is it something optional?

Here's the lucky girl giving the Trooper it's first range trip!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
How cool is that!! Congrats on a great pistol. Always great when they stay in the family.

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
As porsche says, the hammer finish is correct. Colt did not offer optional finishes on hammers when that gun was made.

Did your father-in-law keep the original box and papers?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As porsche says, the hammer finish is correct. Colt did not offer optional finishes on hammers when that gun was made.

Did your father-in-law keep the original box and papers?
That was my first question to him. He said he is going to look for the box when he gets home. My wife is thrilled that she was able to shoot it, especially because her Mom passed away many years ago and this was something special that her Mom bought for her Dad.

Unfortunately the range was very crowded yesterday so we had to shoot on the 25 yard line, but she still kept it in an 8" circle at that distance. I had to make some adjustments to the sights but it shot very well.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hammer on Colt Trooper

No history No case color on mine flat black . Looks pretty much like your
yours . Even has the shrouded cylinder pin. S/N 41###V

.........................Shoot safe ...........Mutt

·
Registered
521 Posts
Good looking revolver you're father-in-law has there. According to the many knowledgable members on this forum the Trooper/Lawman series revolvers had some of the best (i.e. strongest) metallurgy of the time. I own a 2" Lawman Mk III and it's one of my favorites.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts