Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been able to find anyone that can give a reason why the cam lock on the bolt is wearing the finish off the inside or the receiver on a Colt Match Target model. I am thinking either the cam lock isn't seated properly in the bolt or the cam lock or receiver has not been machined properly. Why else would this happen only in some Colt AR 15's ?
Can any or you Colt Ar 15 owners or gunsmiths shed some light on why this has happened ?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm looking through TM 9-1005-319-32&P (M-16 Maintenance Manual) and cannot find your specific problem. It only mentions if cam pin is cracked, damaged, or excessive wear, replace. A bolt cam pin should be readily available for replacement. If the gun is under warrantee you might want to return the upper w/complete carrier and bolt to Colt after a call to them. With the carrier and bolt assembled and the bolt pushed aft, can you get the bolt to come foreward with a snap of your wrist?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called Colt this morning and a lady answered in customer service. She said there was no one I could talk to about this problem. She said what I could do is send the gun to Colt for an evaluation. I had thought I could have talked to someone with more technical experience, but that was not the case. The rifle is used and past the one year warranty and I don't see a reason why a company like Colt would not have anyone else to talk with. I got the feeling I was just being blown off. So much for Colt's customer service.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I agree that pictures would help with a diagnoses. If the wear you are seeing is just aft of the half moon cut in the receiver that the bolt cam pin rotates into as the bolt goes into battery, I see wear there in the three I have looked at so far. If it's no more than a 1/4 inch or so I would not worry. If it's really gouging, and Colt is not cooperating, I would start out by replacing the cam pin. Also, the cam pin is one of those parts that should be "generously lubricated", IAW the Operator's Manual. Good luck!

·
Registered
852 Posts
I agree that pictures would help with a diagnoses. If the wear you are seeing is just aft of the half moon cut in the receiver that the bolt cam pin rotates into as the bolt goes into battery, I see wear there in the three I have looked at so far. If it's no more than a 1/4 inch or so I would not worry. If it's really gouging, and Colt is not cooperating, I would start out by replacing the cam pin. Also, the cam pin is one of those parts that should be "generously lubricated", IAW the Operator's Manual. Good luck!
I see a slight bright spot on two of mine, but it seems to me that W4 is offering pretty sage advice. I seem to recall a bright spot in much-fired ARs in the service.
Again, pictures would help.
As regards Colt's customer service, yeah, S&W would have given you more info over the phone. OTOH, in today's litigious society, they likely want to examine it themselves to cover their derriere.
Moon

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
Some wear in that area is typical and normal. Hopefully what you are talking about is not excessive. We'll wait for your pics......

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perhaps I was describing the wear mark wrong. It is not just a 1/4" mark from the bolt rotating, it is a wear mark about 2" long from when the bolt slides back and forth when firing and feeding another round. I apologise for not being able to show pics, but I do not have the rifle in my posession yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts