Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
I’ve got one a friend gave me and it’s a real tack driver. Imported by Beeman and you don’t see them very often. 177 caliber, mine has the original black plastic grips with thumb rest for a right hand shooter. I’m guessing your pearl grips are imitation but can’t tell without having them in hand. You’ll really enjoy backyard plinking with that one.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
I know nothing about those but the grips look very much like real MOP. If so that’s quite a find!

Reactions: sublimert70

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My first reaction was that the grips are mop; not imitation. I still think they are genuine but I am not an expert. Here are a few pics. The right panel is not smooth; hopefully the pics will show it.
I tried to remove the grips but they’re stuck on there pretty good.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
I’m almost positive (like 99%) those are REAL! Very cool find!

If stuck, I wouldn’t remove them because you might chip or crack them. Just leave them and add $$$ to the gun if you ever sell it.

·
Registered
722 Posts
That is a newer model Tempest imported thru California. The earlier ones simply said Made in England on them and had no import stamps on them. I’ve had two in my life, an original when I was a teen 30+yrs ago and a LNIB one I got off eBay like 10yrs ago. They are built like tanks. You’ll get approx 400fps out of it if the seals and o-rings are still in good shape. With Beeman pellets it’s a tack driver.
There was a slightly different version called the Hurricane which had a front peep sight and slightly longer barrel.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
If you want to know if your grips are real MOP all you have to do is scrape your 2 upper front teeth over the grip surface. If it feels rough then it’s real pearl and if it feels smooth it’s imitation.

·
Registered
9,801 Posts
You're in luck - there are numerous threads on these if you use your favorite search engine.

The grips 'could' be real - Webley grips exist in several forms - and there are/were makers of same.

The piece is a field pistol and has the acceptable accuracy of one - for competition pieces, you're gonna spend more - but for a companion or a trainer, the Webley is hard to beat.

Manuals are available - get them.

Also - air-powered rifles and pistols can be particular on their ammunition and it'll be somewhat dramatic, so get several types - it'll be worth it.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The grips feel like small sand against my teeth. Just an fyi....there are some things that drive me insane. Rubbing something against my teeth is one of them. Touching cardboard with my fingertips is another. And the worst is a wet collar in a button down shirt.
And my superiors in the Army did not care about how I felt about this when we stood in formation for hours in the summer while the Alabama sun was beaming down on us. It’s pretty funny now but it was torture twenty years ago.

Thanks all for your comments. I bought this without a worry if the grips are MOP or not. I knew I was buying it as soon as I saw how it was built and how durable it is.

Thank You.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I have one of the Tempest air pistols that my wife bought for me for a Christmas present 25 or 30 years ago. A real tack driver but cocking the action gets old after a while. Go on line and get an owners handbook so you can learn how to keep it lubricated. Lots of fun and it will last forever! Nice find!

·
Registered
9,801 Posts
I have a Hy-Score 'Sportster' in addition to my Webley 'Tempest' - both share the same break-open design, and both have robust springs, and they both hit 'hard'.

Air guns have a couple of things going for them - they're excellent trainers and help marksmanship, because there's a bit of follow-through that has to happen if accuracy's important - that teaches control and sight alignment differently from a cartridge weapon, and will increase your proficiency markedly.

Plus - you don't have to bend over to police up the range...;-D

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
The grips feel like small sand against my teeth. Just an fyi....there are some things that drive me insane. Rubbing something against my teeth is one of them. Touching cardboard with my fingertips is another. And the worst is a wet collar in a button down shirt.
And my superiors in the Army did not care about how I felt about this when we stood in formation for hours in the summer while the Alabama sun was beaming down on us. It’s pretty funny now but it was torture twenty years ago.

Thanks all for your comments. I bought this without a worry if the grips are MOP or not. I knew I was buying it as soon as I saw how it was built and how durable it is.

Thank You.
Sounds like you have grips that are worth more than the gun they’re on, congrats. I went through MP AIT in Alabama in the mid 1970’s, luckily it was January through March, wonderful weather.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
I looked at these on the bay and they routinely sell in the 200-300 range. This one probably worth at least double that with the MOP grips (maybe more). Smoking deal, nice!

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have the same pellet gun bought new in 1982 give or take for the princely sum of $89.00 at the time from legendary Gun dealer Leslie Edelman in Farmingdale, Long Island, NY. Still have it and it's an excellent shooter and training aid. New the listed fps was 450 fps. I've never seen nor even knew mop grips existed for this gun. Nice buy you did very well.
I bought the pellet trap at the same time for indoor shooting but stacked cardboard works. No such thing as phone books today for that sort of thing. Enjoy your Tempest

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been told that a hot pin touched to the back of fake MOP will melt a bit and smell and real MOP will not.

·
Registered
9,801 Posts
Before everyone gets overly excited about the grips:

Look up 'Vitoonwood' - they produce a faux pearl (aka 'Mother of Toilet Seat') pair of identical grips for under $70.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
If you are talking about the pair on eBay by “vitoonmakers” (I had already saw them when looking at the webley sold prices), yes they sell imitation but are FAR from identical. I’ve had enough real MOP-grips and knives- to know the difference. There are a few characteristics which you can see between fake and real. When you’ve handled and seen enough, you “just know”. These are the good stuff.

EDIT: I found these too webley tempest grips

same looking as eBay, very plain and generic. They even have what appears to be a thumbrest.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I messed around with the shading of this pic so we can see the grip panel better. Maybe it will help. You can see the grain and indented areas better if you enlarge the pic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
From G&A Mag from '81.

I used MOP for my parrot neck Telecaster.
Parrots and Seahorses.
With the frets in and strung up, they are in their cages.
Ebony and pearl.
Making it into a six string banjo for the kids.

On firearms they are War Horses and as I served in Sac with friends who were APs.... Air Police.... Assault Parrots on my Colt AR grips.

Pin test it and let us know if you can.
Not MOP as viewed with these old eyes but I hope I'm wrong. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Anyone ever do a trigger job on an airgun?
Our old Ben Sheridan HB17 is not bad but would appreciate any insight, if you've worked on one, before I take it apart and ruin it.
Thx

1 - 20 of 24 Posts