Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Now that's interesting! Often, a Colt 1878 was stripped of its barrel and this served as a donor barrel for a Colt Single Action Army revolver, since the barrels are interchangeable.

Since the SAA revolver is the more desirable of the two, this makes sense.

Now, the barrel on this Colt 1878 contains an italic barrel address, which means it originated from a Colt SAA revolver, serial number ~22,000 or under. Far more valuable on a Colt SAA than on a Colt 1878/1902. Hence, a rather curious finding.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Also, if the barrel wasn't bubba'd, it might be worth buying the revolver and retaining the barrel and replacing with a period correct 6" barrel. But, independent of the hole in the front sight, I suspect it could be a modification when the original 7 1/2" barrel might have been cut.

Not to mention the wrench marks on the barrel...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Grips don't look like they were fit at the factory either, there's a gap at the top. The ejector rod housing also doesn't fit flush against the frame either. A rebuild?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Grips don't look like they were fit at the factory either, there's a gap at the top. The ejector rod housing also doesn't fit flush against the frame either. A rebuild?
I don't see much of a gap at the top of either grip -- these grips are fit recessed into the frame at the rounded upper edge. It is possible that replacement grips were installed at some point and not fit precisely The real mis-fit I see is at the lower front on the left side grip, which suggests the replacement theory.

Another problem is the slotted screw head on the hinged breech block -- this should be just a rounded nub protruding from the block.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Yes, someone robbed the original 6" barrel. From the looks of the reblued gun, they didn't get much of a 6" barrel. It wouldn't do one much good on a Colt SAA if it didn't letter 45 x 6". That italic address barrel probably had a 1st type ejector housing, so the "machinist" who made this possibly spotted the threaded boss a tad too distant from the front of frame, leaving a gap between front of frame and rear of housing. At best, it is a "parts gun" now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts