Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well after many months thinking about it...Dad asked me about trying to find him a Colt SAA over Christmas not knowing i have been thinking of selling some of my collection to get one...well he is thinking of selling his much loved 1956 Colt 357 with 5" barrel....Factory Full Checkered Target grips which i had one year for his Christmas recheckered by our beloved Swamprat....i told him i am not sure the value and he wants to head to the LGS shops next week and i need a idea what i should try to get for this....i think he wants to try and find a NF like he had back in the late 70's....any help will so be appreciated....i think he might be able to trade even for one...but i might be way off too...God Bless,John....
serial on his is 936x...

the barrel length is 6"...sorry for my mistake...

Reactions: ponyup

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
3rd Generation New Frontiers from the late 70's / early 80's are not always the best quality. Learn what makes a good single action before trading that M357.

BTW, are you sure it is a 5" barrel?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a few pics...will post better pics tomorrow...just cell now...

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it measures 5"from the end of the frame to end of the barrel...do i include the threaded portion"

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I stand corrected...thank u

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well thank u...well Dad really wants a Colt SAA with adjustable sights...he would love to get a brand new one....but i do not think he could get a brand new one for this could he?
personally i think the newer guns are like u said hit or miss on quality and these early 357 are very hard to find...if i had the extra funds i would just get him what he wants and keep it for myself...but that is not a option i think right now...God Bless,John

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well here is the only pic i could find from wat back when ....i am sure he would love to remake one to look like one of these...i am thinking the 44 special will be a little cheaper to find versus the 45 colt too...we have ammo loaded for both

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
in case i forgot to mention...this will be a shooter...so hence the reason for good adjustable sights....and that is some of his most favorite ones...he had a Christy Sighted SAA from the 50's as well...but finding one of those would be even harder...my uncle had one done back when he lived in Ca....God Bless,John

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
well sorry for the delay....here is some better pics i hope from my digital camera....please let me know what u think...God Bless,John

·
Administrator
7,291 Posts
Just clarifying , is the question ... How much is the model 357 worth ?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just clarifying , is the question ... How much is the model 357 worth ?
Well Dad and i honestly have no idea what we should try to get out of it as prices seem all over the board and we plan to seek.out all the local shops and try and trade this for what he wants....i personally think it is worth about maybe 900.00 or a bit more...Dad on the other hands thinks he shouls be able to trade even for a NF in the box as prices have slid down around here on those and he would prefer adj sights on a shooter....i think he is off on his price but wanted to be sure before we venture out as moat shops are a distance and with the beautiful weather here in WNY being so close to Erie Pa which i am sure most have heard has gotten record amounts of snow...do not want to waste our time and theirs if i am right...so any honest evaluation will be so appreciated....God Bless,John

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
I concur with your assessment. Early 3rd gen New Frontiers are selling routinely in the 1100 to 1300 range, with a few exceptions. 2nd gen models are a few Hamiltons higher.

i snagged a 44 spl for $949 + shipping and transfer fee.

i would exhaust all means possible to keep the 357.

Either sell it outright or consign it, trading the 357 is very unlikely to net the cost of a New Frontier.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well thank u....i truly appreciate the honest answer...can i ask u this...what would u think a fair price i should try to get out of these 357? I do not think we can hope to get a even.trade...if i could...i guess i should do it....this is not what i personally would do but Dad is 82 yrs old and wants more out of a gun that just to hold and admire it...i am not right now able to buy this 357 or i would and just get him a NF ...thank u for the help....God Bless,John

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
It would take at least two (or more) of those 357`s to get a like new Colt New Frontier. I know this is a colt site but if you said you wanted the truth, I would consider either selling it or trading it for a Ruger Blackhawk in whatever model strikes his fancy. I own a .44 special Lipsey Ruger and it`s a fine gun. I also own four Colt single actions.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It would take at least two (or more) of those 357`s to get a like new Colt New Frontier. I know this is a colt site but if you said you wanted the truth, I would consider either selling it or trading it for a Ruger Blackhawk in whatever model strikes his fancy. I own a .44 special Lipsey Ruger and it`s a fine gun. I also own four Colt single actions.
Well i appreciate the truth as u see it...but i am sure we can get more than that for it...a ruger can be found around here for around the 500.00 for NOS ones...i totally agree that a NF should be worth much more thsn a 357 ....appreciate the response...God Bless,John
I guess maybe the smart move is to sell his and whatever we can get find a NF if possible and if not...buy a Ruger...

·
Registered
37 Posts
In my area, I can buy the 357 Colt for about $800, while the Colt NF runs $1100-1300 for new manufacture, and $1300-$1500 for an early NF.
I would NOT let that 357 leave the family!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Did you say "Dad" was 82?? God Bless Him!. My suggestion is that "Dad" should sell the .357, take some of your inheritance and get what he wants pronto so he can enjoy it for as long as he can - God willing.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Tough one.. But I will say that one of my Model 357's would have to be pried outta my hands.. Literally, a Model 357 is always with us at the range.

Funny.. Model 357's seem to get less than I think they should and SAA's seem to get more than I think they should... Ain't it all a bunch a fun!

Best of luck with your trading and I hope your dad is super happy with what he is shooting!

Reactions: jringo8769
1 - 20 of 30 Posts