Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a noobie here and joined this forum to help me learn a little about the Python before I went ahead and searched one out to buy. I have been wanting one all my life but always seemed to find something else to purchase instead. Well, I did it this weekend at a local gun show. I purchased a NIB 6", Royal Blue, Python with a serial number 571XX which will put it if my research is correct, a 1966 vintage. I am an idiot for waiting so long!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I purchased a NIB 6", Royal Blue, Python with a serial number 571XX which will put it if my research is correct, a 1966 vintage. I am an idiot for waiting so long!

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats. How often do you see a mid 60's come along in a box? You're a very wise man for waiting so long. The best come to those that wait.

How about finding me a boxed 1955 model? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well, what was the price you had to pay for this great find ? Don't keep us in suspense ! The Python is an awesome gun, I'm waiting for one to come into our shop someday. We had one, but it had over 8" of barrel and wasn't what I wanted. Are you gonna shoot yours ? Shoo

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[

[/ QUOTE ]
How about finding me a boxed 1955 model? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I will look and if I find one she will be mine but I will for sure show you some photos /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Well, what was the price you had to pay for this great find ? Don't keep us in suspense ! The Python is an awesome gun, I'm waiting for one to come into our shop someday. We had one, but it had over 8" of barrel and wasn't what I wanted. Are you gonna shoot yours ? Shoo

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt get a steal but I feel a fair price for a NIB etc. I paid 1000K for it and have no regret. I have been debating shooting it or not, so what do you guys think?

·
Registered
715 Posts
1000K?! I wouldn't shoot it! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif But then I don't shoot most of my stuff anyway /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

$1000 is a good price for a NIB '66.

Well done!

·
Registered
72 Posts
A gun that has never been fired is like a women who has never had sex. You got yourself a 40 year old virgin! Seriously, that would be a tough call for me. I have purposly stayed away from NIB stuff cause I don't want to have to make that decision. I buy my guns to shoot and I don't feel so bad if someone has already taken the first shots for me. I look at a good gun the same way as a good car. I could never leave a Ferrari parked in the garage just to look at. I think though it all comes down to why you buy the gun. If you bought it for investment then the answer would be don't shoot it because you could devalue it since you'll never again be able to say it's unfired. If you bought it to shoot then shoot it. Either way, you only go around once and whatever you do will be fine!

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Shoot it, shoot it and shoot it some more.

As an aside, I have a hard time understanding why folks are so hesitant to shoot a $1000 Colt but will spend $2000+ on an over and under shotgun and proceed to shoot the guts out of it at sporting clays, etc.

Shooting doesn't equal abuse. Guns (including Colts) were meant to be fired.

Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did Colt make a 2-1/2 Python or DiamondBack blued and if so what would they go for in mint condition w/o box?

·
Registered
778 Posts
We have a 2-1/2" Blued Python, made in 1971. I would think one today would set you back about $1,150.00 in the shape ours is in.

Also have a 2-1/2" Ultimate stainless Python from the mid 80's. Just found a box for it.

Prices are going crazy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I picked up a Nickel Target Python, unfired in the box for $1,050. On gunbroker, I saw the same Pythons selling for $2,300-$2,500. When seeing those prices, I seriously thought about selling my Python, however, after thinking about it, I thought about my original intent as to why I purchased the pistol...to enjoy it. So over the weekend I took it out and shot about 250 round through it and man was it fun!!! I don't purchase guns as a market investment, I purchase them to enjoy them. If I decided tomoroow to sell my Target Python, I would still make money on it, but who cares, I bought it to shoot it and that experience is priceless!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts