Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Signed up for Medicare today...

Open season without penalties is 3 months before and 3 months after your Birth Month...

Mine was July...I had until October 31st.

Found out Medicare pays 80% and my FEHB insurance pays the other 20%...should I need it...
which I don't !!

But the damn premium doesn't go down on the FEHB...

And now another $135.50 comes out of my retirement for Part B...

WTH happened to all them years of my paying into the system...!?

Don't even get me started on Social Security...

which is where Medicare.gov dumps you when you try to sign up for Medicare

...What !!?? :bang_wall:

Dagnabit...I may be old...but I'm NOT stupid...getting old is a friggin' rip off !!

:mad:

/rant

·
Registered
147 Posts
Somewhere in there, in the stuff "they" are doing to help you... There is a penalty on the Medicare if you make too much money. No matter how old you are.
Don't try to get used to it. You will not like it even after a long time. Good thing I like Colts or I couldn't post a political response.

Lot's of great minds on this forum. I enjoy often but post seldom.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Dunno. Since I got on medicare it`s saved me a ton. I suspect I have cost medicare a bunch. Had heart stents, nose cut off due to cancer, hip replacement, knee surgery, and sure I am forgetting a bunch of other stuff since I was sixty five fourteen years ago. Of course I still am living in the 1940`s when stuff was about thirty times less than now, but so were wages. Even back then my folks couldn't afford insurance. About 1947 I ran my arm through a washing machine wringer shooting krauts. My folks took me to a shoe store that had a ex ray machine to see how shoes fit. Had me lay on the floor and stick my arm in it looking for breaks and now my wrist glows in the dark.

·
Registered
493 Posts
You don't give enough information for an exact answer; but usually, most people with FEHB switch from a standard plan to the basic plan when Medicare starts, which saves you some money. Most states have a SHIIP agency that can help you with this stuff - they aren't there to sell you anything. :)

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Getting old may be a pain, but like others said, it's better than the alternative.

A couple of years ago, I finally came to the conclusion I was getting older. It happened when I saw an attractive, scantily-clad young lady and the first thought that popped into my head was "how do her parents let her out of the house dressed like that? She's going to catch a cold!"

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
I takes some gettin' used to.
If you are 450lbs, diabetic, with hypertension and heart disease, non-compliant with therapy, and expect a miracle from the medical folks, Medicare picks up the whole smash.
If you are in shape, train every day, follow simple instruction well, and have metabolic disorder that requires monitoring and nutritional consultation, you have to pay the entire freight. And you are the one who will have satisfactory results, while the irresponsible slobs will drain the resources in the name of complete abject failure, eventually resulting in a lingering death.
Like I said, it takes some gettin' used to......

This is a Diamondback I found hangin' around in my safe:

·
Registered
598 Posts
Not sure what FEHB is but Medicare, Supplemental and Drug insurance (a real scam, I pay for it and get my drugs cheaper without it) runs me & the wife about $600 a month. If you just turned 65 let me tell you every year everything goes up 10%. I figured out that my mistake was getting a job when I got out of high school.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
"Getting old is AOK compared to the alternative". Yep lol

I tell myself that every day- Welcome to the ranks-Congratulations! You are now level 6.5! :)

I won't say what I think about our current crop of congress critters and the way they are setting up to fubar Medicare etc.

Don't wanna get banned. lol

·
Registered
686 Posts
Fun thread :). My story, which has been developing over the course of many years, is:

1. You know you're getting old, when you meet an adult woman who was named for a Beatles song that you listened to when it was brand-new (Michelle).
2. You really know you're getting old, when decades later you meet a young woman who can't name all the Beatles (they never get George and sometimes not even Ringo). "Uh, John something? Maybe Paul?".
3. You know you are really, really old, when decades after THAT you meet a teenager -- who's not ever heard of the Beatles. Who? She said. Her English-born mother had to explain it all to her.

True stories all :).

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Getting old may be a pain, but like others said, it's better than the alternative.

A couple of years ago, I finally came to the conclusion I was getting older. It happened when I saw an attractive, scantily-clad young lady and the first thought that popped into my head was "how do her parents let her out of the house dressed like that? She's going to catch a cold!"
Hmmm. Maybe I'm not going to get old afterall.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.