Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted early on my first Colt purchase with bad photos. I have some good photos now and better Colt knowledge. This is a Colt Bisley 38-40 1904 I believe. serial 250830 trigger guard, frame, and backstrap match. gate matches frame # 4676. Issues. right grip is #4656 with small chip back bottom edge, and left grip is # 4462. probably not a match to the gun, but do look good on the gun with fit and age. Cylinder and barrel I don't know. barrel is right length to the Colt letter but either has been changed or been cleaned as it has no finish as compared to the rest of the gun. bore is spotted and not shiny, but gun shoots accurate and action is good. some case colors still on the hammer but frame is just dark.
Q. Is this a candidate for a Turnbull or Colt refinish to make it a real good looking gun, or is the collector value still there enough to leave it alone. I payed waaay too much for it , or bought waaay too soon for value to catch up with the price paid, so either way i'm in it deep already. (was first Colt purchase.. before joining the Forum) I like the gun though. very solid feeling and accurate shooter. The gun seems to look better in the photos than in real life. The barrel looks darker than it actually is I think.

http://s1089.photobucket.com/albums/i356/benwindley/Colt Bisley/

Forum Friend
For the $5K it would cost you to have it restored by Turnbulls you could buy a close to mint original. Here's mine, a family gun, far from mint but worth maybe $3K.

Premium Member
Everyone has their own tastes, but I never figured out how taking a $1800 honest colt and spending $5000 on a refinish to end up with a $2500 refinished colt is a wise move.

Registered
I like it and would leave it as is too. Where does it letter to?

Registered
I like it the way it is as well. Anybody with money can have a refinished gun. If left alone you are the only one that can have one like it. Old guns with character are unique, those are the ones I look for. My thinking is there is always going to be someone who has something "better" so I enjoy and feel lucky to have what I have.

Premium Member
Everyone has their own tastes, but I never figured out how taking a $1800 honest colt and spending $5000 on a refinish to end up with a $2500 refinished colt is a wise move.
+1. This has never made any sense to me either. I have never and probably would never do that. To each his own...

Registered
Thanks for sharing with us. I think that's a nice shooter & you said it shoots well & you like it.
I'd just use it as it is & enjoy it. I would not have it refinished. You should get years of fun with that gun.
Frank

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #11
well . I've got the mint USFA nickel Bisley, and the 1st gen Colt. I guess I'm just wanting that mint Bisley with the brilliant case hardened coloring. guess I can take the money I saved from not buying that 300K Pinched frame on Gunbroker and get the mint Colt Bisley :cool: .. yeah right .

Registered
Leave it alone and keep looking...you'll find one. Here is something to whet your appetite:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts