Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hope to add a Long Flute to the stable one day. Heck I would love to find a cylinder and put it in one of my guns.

Here's the latest one that I found for sale.
I actually kind if like it but it's already going for more than I would spend on such a beat up almost relic. To bad it was stored poorly. Lots of rust and pitting. Grips worn smooth and internal issues. Other than that she's a keeper. LOL.
These are hard to find so I am wondering what it will bring at the final call. Any guesses?

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Revolver

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
I don't think I have ever seen Colt grips that worn down before. Imagine how many rounds this thing must have fired. Lots of money for one in this condition as well.

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
I hope to add a Long Flute to the stable one day. Heck I would love to find a cylinder and put it in one of my guns.

I actually kind if like it but it's already going for more than I would spend on such a beat up almost relic. To bad it was stored poorly. Lots of rust and pitting. Grips worn smooth and internal issues. Other than that she's a keeper. LOL.
These are hard to find so I am wondering what it will bring at the final call. Any guesses?

View attachment 806197
Yes, this one is ROUGH! Look at the external barrel pitting and dings. Lots of luck finding another barrel like that. Not that rare, with almost 1500 made.

Seller says gun "needs some repairs". I suspect about $350 worth, and that doesn't deal with the worn slick grips either.

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts

View attachment 806197
Not long ago these LF SAA' s sold for $3000 to $4000 -- NICE Ones, though. Examples follow....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey LAB a forum member just told me that he sold you a LF cylinder ( just the cylinder ) that he had. Any chance you would consider passing it along? Of course I understand if you would rather not or have already used it on a project.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What's the story on these Long Flute revolvers? Never heard that term before this thread.
Well I am Not an authority on these ( or any Colt item) but I will take a shot (pardon the pun)
Colt not wanting to waste anything, used older cylinders they had in stock that were previously made for the model 1877. Colt had to do some additional machine work on the cylinders to get them to work as they were made for another model not the model 1873. This was done from 1913 to 1915. I believe 1500 SAA were shipped with the long flute cylinders. So it's a variation in the SAA line.
If I got it wrong I won't be offended when one of the forum members correct me or adds to it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Model 1878 Colt. Leftovers after that model was discontinued.
The mystery is........... what is the age of these cylinders? Are they black powder era in a more modern frame? Probably. I would never shoot one........
The long flutes are an interesting variation of the single action. I don't remember the details at the moment, but they were assembled on a separate line unto themselves - not assembled with other single-actions being made at the same time.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Model 1878 Colt. Leftovers after that model was discontinued.
The mystery is........... what are the age of these cylinders? Are they black powder era in a more modern frame? Probably. I would never shoot one........
The long flutes are an interesting variation of the single action. I don't remember the details at the moment, but they were assembled on a separate line unto themselves - not assembled with other single-actions being made at the same time.
No one knows what year these cylinders were actually made but Colt did put them on a gun verified for use with smokeless powder.

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
It is generally accepted that all long flute cylinders are BP only. The stock of 1878 long flute cylinders were re-machined from left over 1878 colt double action guns. The 1878 was produced between 1878 and 1905. The long flute SAA guns were made up in and around 1915.

So, end of production of the 1878 was 1905. When the cylinders were actually made is anyone's guess. Colt proofed the guns with a VP. But thinking they all have a smokeless cylinder may not be the best assumption if you value the gun. A good many of them built in 45 as well. Makes the idea of smokeless even less appealing.

FWIW I have seen a number of 45 Colt LF cylinders outside of guns. Makes me wonder what might have been common knowledge a one time, that we are missing today? Why were so many LF .45 cylinders replaced, and the spares left out to be sold and traded as "used parts"? Or was it simply cosmetics?
Or actual concerns over the strength of the LF cylinders?

We might never know.

Everyday carry Gun accessory Fashion accessory Metal Knife

FWIW two of our more astute Colt forum members here were bidding on that gun. It is in a lot better shape that some had described from what they see in the photos. I suspect we'll see it again after being cleaned up some. Nice gun! Congrads to Marshal.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts