Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy an(1987 vintage)four-inch, Brite Stainless Colt Python-and, it is NIB, and it has the Colt(Checkered walnut)grips on it! My question is, if these grips were what would have come on this Python in normal production(Without any special grips being specified(Other than the standard production grips!))? Please clarify this for me? Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 04-25-2005).]

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Re: Were(Checkered)walnut grips, standard production(On Brite stainless)Python in 1987?

The good thing is that you have Colt checkered wood on the Python and may want to replace them with rubber Pachmayers.
The checkered wood stocks are around $100-$125, while the rubber around $25.
So, if you wanted to put Pachmayer rubber grips with Colt logos on the Python, you could make about $100 on the deal if you sold the wood.
Just a thought.

I personally hate the Pachmayer rubber target grips. The combats are not bad, but the targets make your expensive Python look & feel cheap.
That's just my opinion. That doesn't count for much.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
711 Posts
Re: Were(Checkered)walnut grips, standard production(On Brite stainless)Python in 1987?

I concur with dfariswheel; I checked my 1987 catalog and it describes the BSS 4" Python as coming with "RTS" (Rubber Target Stocks). It's also true that Colt probably put whatever grips they had available so anything goes.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

The only answers that I got from Colt(Customer Service)is as follows:

1)If the wood grips on my Brite Stainless(4")Python are the smooth(Finger groove type)then, these are definately "Wrong" for my gun!

2)That the(Checkered walnut)target grips, were correct for year 1987!

3)The only way to be certain what grips came on my Python, would be to contact Colt's "Archive" Service, to determine whatever grips that my Python left the factory with?

4)The above supports what dfariswheel(And the others!)had already said! So, I guess that(At least!)it's possible that my Python, could have still come from the factory with the(Checkered walnut target grips)already installed(Instead of the cataloged, rubber grips?)? I like the checkered walnut grips better(But, I'd like them to have come from the factory on my Python?)! I don't see why Colt's didn't mark their gun boxes with whatever type of grips was supposed to be on these Python's?

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 04-25-2005).]

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts

With Colt, it really doesn't mean anything, but my 1985 catalog shows the bright stainless with rubber Pachmayr grips.

The problem is, Colt bounced back and forth so much on grips, that even they might not know for sure what it had on when it left the factory.

My best guess: It had rubber.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 04-25-2005).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts