Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up a 4" 38sp with a nickel finish. Serial # shows a 1912 birth date.

Barrel stamping is faint. Hammer & trigger are both nickel.

Any guesses if this was a factory job or something done afterwards?

Added: I just noticed the Colt is not present on the side plate. I guess that calls it: Plated after it left the factory.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
The Army Special ( and the preceding New Army and New Navy ) were offered in Nickel, as well as that they could be Ordered in Nickel.

Early Army Specials in Factory Nickel ( just as other Colt DAs of the time ) would tend to have Fire Blue Hammer Tops, In-the-White Hammer sides...and, fire Blue Triggers.

The one I have dates to I think 1913 just as yours does, and, it is this way: Nickel Frame and Barrel and Cylinder and Crane, Nickel Screws, Fire Blue Hammer Top and Fire Blue Trigger.

I think one could order them to have Blue Screws, if one wanted.

I would have to guess by the details you describe, that yours is not a Factory Nickle, but, something done later on sometime.

Can you post some images of it?

( I can not post any of mine, since it is not handy ).

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
One more, which shows the Trigger fairly well -

Starting pistol Revolver Trigger

I do not remember if one would expect the Ejector Star to be Nickel or Blue on these....

On an S & W, one would expect a Blue Ejector Star on a Factory Nickel Revolver.

·
Registered
24 Posts
A friend has on of these he wants to sell. Looks like 80 % condition, 4" barrel, non-original grips, nickel, 38spl. What are they worth?
Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.