Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Were Tyler grips a Colt option? By Tyler grip I mean the piece that screws to the front of the grip strap.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I have never seen them in any of the older Colt's catalogs or dealer price lists. The depression era shootists like Roper and McGivern called the first ones "gadgets" and used a chunk of gum rubber to fill the area behind the trigger guard. Tyler T grips came later, and were still in business into the early 1980's (and maybe they are still around).

Colt's solution to the problem with the Woodsman was plastic "grip adapters" which added material to the back of the gripstrap to accomodate different sized hands. But that was post-war... HTH

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have explained myself better. The gun is a 1965 Detective Special and the Tyler T grips are most likely from that period. Do you think they were installed after leaving the factory or the gun may have been ordered that way? It also has the special order 3" barrel and hammer shroud. Maybe the Tylers were the icing on the cake.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's a pic of the gun. I'll have a better pic tomorrow.

·
Registered
909 Posts
While the hammer shroud was a factory option, I'm sure the Tyler is aftermarket. Somewhere in the archives I have an old Tyler catalog; I'll see if I can dig it out. BTW, the ones that I purchased from Tyler didn't screw into the frontstrap, they have two thin pieces of sheetmetal that just slide under the stocks and are held in place by friction when you tighten the stock screw. Easy on and off and no alterations to the gun. If I remember correctly, they were available in either polished aluminum or flat black.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, the ones that I purchased from Tyler didn't screw into the frontstrap, they have two thin pieces of sheetmetal that just slide under the stocks and are held in place by friction when you tighten the stock screw. Easy on and off and no alterations to the gun. If I remember correctly, they were available in either polished aluminum or flat black.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good information. Thanks a bunch.

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
You can often see them in pictures on EBay and the gun auctions. These aren't Tyler but show a similar mechanism.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Found my catalog, dated 2/93. T-Grips were $7.50 in polished aluminum or black, 50 cents more for "gold". Believe it or not, Melvin Tyler also enclosed a check for "One Hundred Million Yrs. Eternal Life & More" signed by J.C. Himself, as Mr. Tyler had recently found The Lord. If I had a SAA, I'd roll it up and put it in the 6th chamber to rest the hammer on, just in case! /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts