Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The West Point class revolver , class of 2022 , will begin taking orders in October of this year .
This is a very limited engraving , the last revolver that I purchased was number 25 of 75 .
Mark your calendar .

·
Registered
9,482 Posts
First time seeing one...does every graduating class pick a firearm ( revolver / pistol ) to represent their year or what !?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The firearms are selected by the West Point pistol team . The selection of 1,2 or 3 handguns changes each year and are selected by the pistol team . Yes from a shooting
perspective they are gaudy , from a collectors perspective they are a limited production firearm . As for their value , I took my revolver to Collectors Firearms to have it appraised . Mike Clark , the owner , offered to pay me twice what I payed for mine and was very disapointed to hear that none were avaiable . October of this year West Point will begin to take orders for the 2022 class pistol . Mark your calendars .

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
October of this year West Point will begin to take orders for the 2022 class pistol . Mark your calendars .

Does this mean any Schmo can buy one?

·
Registered
9,482 Posts
Gaudy is in the eye of the beholder...and I would not use that word in regards with anything to do with our Military, no matter which branch of service.

Myself, I think it's a very sentimental idea...no doubt steeped in tradition.

And if I was in the class of 2022...looking towards at least a 20 year career with the Army...I would prize that firearm every day.

God Bless ALL The Men & Women of the United States Armed Forces Standing Watch Over Us, Here and Across The Globe !!

HOOAH !!

·
Registered
Colt SAA, Usfa SA, Std Mfg SA.
1,771 Posts
Its gaudy....plain and simple.
I served 3, yeah that's right, 3 combat tours in Afganistan between Feb 2002 and Oct 2005, then did another in Iraq in 2006. I've more than earned the right to call it for what it is.

D Co. 6th cavalry regiment (air)
10th Mountain Division.
19D

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Congrats on a special purchase !

For that gaud , I mean gold - I could live with it .
Thanks for making this firearm known . I camped out as a preteen at West Point to observe mock wars , was very cool. To exaggerate I almost died from hypothermia, waking up in probably six inches of water . I tried to get my son to enroll as a cadet few years ago.He had the grades , SATs and recommendation was no problem. He chose college instead, and will graduate from UMass this month . I wish I did either....oh well !

Thanks to 1stGen for the pics , definitely improved the thread !

·
Registered
342 Posts
Compared to other commemoratives that have been done in the past, it looks rather simple. Like the engraving.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Its gaudy....plain and simple.
I served 3, yeah that's right, 3 combat tours in Afganistan between Feb 2002 and Oct 2005, then did another in Iraq in 2006. I've more than earned the right to call it for what it is.

D Co. 6th cavalry regiment (air)
10th Mountain Division.
19D
Absolutely , my sentiments exactly on both accounts .Would make a fine looking pimp gun.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
I believe the class pistol tradition started in the early 2000’s. I graduated from West Point in 1989 and was on the pistol team for 4 years and it was not happening at that time. The first one I recall seeing was for the class of 2004, but there may have been something earlier.

I was part of a team that looked into doing one to be available for our 30th year anniversary/reunion, so I am somewhat familiar with the process. Typically the class will have a couple options - a shooter grade that is less embellished and a presentation grade that tends to gaudier. Some classes have offered more options, and my recollection of the examples we looked at is that 1911s were used much more often than SAAs.

I believe the intent is to limit orders to members of the class or parents of cadets. As stated earlier, participation in the class pistol program is voluntary. (FYI - Class rings are a mandatory purchase, but each person gets to chose what type of gold and what they want for the center stone.)

·
Registered
Colt SAA, Usfa SA, Std Mfg SA.
1,771 Posts
I like the idea of picking a shooter as opposed to a keepsake. If I were a cadet I would much rather have a shooter to commemorate my graduation from a storied institution such as West Point. It would definitely be the most interesting gun at the range on any given day.

Oh and I would rather have the SAA than the 1911.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts