Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I posted a similar post in the WTB section, because yes, I would like to buy if I could ever find one- but I'm also interested in any information that anyone may have on this revolver.

Produced for the West Point graduating class of 2009. Unknown how many were made.

Description: The Colt Single Action Army .45 caliber revolver has the class crest located at the top of the backstrap behind the hammer of the gun, and the USMA crest and Athena's helmet were etched into the top of the grips. "Duty, Honor, Country" was located at the ejection port under the barrel of the gun and the phrases "Class of 2009" and "United States Military Academy" were etched on either side of the barrel.

The classic Colt Single Action Army .45 caliber revolver is the same model carried by General George S. Patton in World War II, this fine collector's pistol featured elements similar to the one carried by the general himself. Patton graduated USMA in 1909 and 2009 marked the 100 year affliation with the general for the Class of 2009. The pistols were hand engraved by master engravers with tru-ivory grips. The ornate engraving you see was exactly that of the engraving on Patton's pistols as well.

I've attached photos for reference. Any information is appreciated.

Also, does anyone know how I may go about finding out exactly how many were produced? Will Colt provide that information?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
If you have the serial number of one of these and you're willing to spend some money, a Colt archive letter would tell you how many guns were in the shipment. However, if they were shipped in multiple lots you might be out of luck.

·
Premium Member
20,448 Posts
Looking at the engraving quality, I suspect that these SAA's were produced by some company like America Remembers using guns they purchased from Colt (or Uberti).

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
'Usually' if the graduating class acquires a firearm for commemorating their class, they stick to something that can be used - for USMA Class of 2009, that'd've been an M9.

To 'me', this looks more like something done up for a single graduate as a single gift, but the lack of a name is odd, and were it done for an individual, that name would have been prominent.

I think 'saintclair' is closer to the truth.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
saintclair- you are correct that Baron Technology did the engraving. Colt produced the base gun with unique serial numbers and sent them to Baron Technology for the engraving. For the Class of 2009 there were four variations of the class pistol produced (photos attached):

1) Blued Steel Colt 1911
2) Matted Finish Steel Colt 1911
3) Polished Stainless Steel Colt 1911
4) Colt Single Action Army .45

This information is from the original order information for our class. Until today, I had only ever seen one of the variations "in the wild"- the Blued Steel Colt 1911 version. Thanks to your link, I now know that the Polished Stainless Steel 1911 version does actually exist (this one slipped through my fingers). Using Colt's Serial Number look-up tool I can deduce that 131 of the 1911's were produced ranging in SN USMA09001 to USMA09131. However, information on the Class of 2009 SAA remains elusive.

Thanks for the help- any additional information, photos, or leads to "For Sale" are appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,696 Posts
RAFA2009 said:
.... For the Class of 2009 there were four variations of the class pistol produced (photos attached):

1) Blued Steel Colt 1911
2) Matted Finish Steel Colt 1911
3) Polished Stainless Steel Colt 1911
4) Colt Single Action Army .45

............information on the Class of 2009 SAA remains elusive.

Baron will have easy access to the serial numbers on all the guns made for your class and how many of each were produced. I'd give them a call and see what they will share with you.

Baron Technology | Engraving At Its Finest

http://baronengraving.com/proj/military-law-enforcement-editions-2/#more-247

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yahoody- thanks for the information. I sent them an email and will post any info I get back. Hopefully they have numbers on each.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
I graduated from USMA in 1989. We are working on a 1911 for our 30th reunion. We are working with Colt and Baron's as well since the relationships are established. We are planning to have two or three options/models. Colt requires a minimum order of 25 guns per type/model so that should be the minimum for earlier orders too. Brian

PS - there used to be a really nice SAA for a 2004 grad on the Nutmeg site in the completed guns section.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts