Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone ID this holster? It is a western style double loop design but it has a finish much like some foreign military leather goods. Also has a drain hole. I believe the retention strap and snap are a later add on. The previous owner said a large frame DA would fit and if I measure from the cylinder impression it will take up to a 5" barrel, maybe only a 4 3/4" barrel. No markings or stamps anywhere on it. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Can anyone ID this holster? It is a western style double loop design but it has a finish much like some foreign military leather goods. Also has a drain hole. I believe the retention strap and snap are a later add on. The previous owner said a large frame DA would fit and if I measure from the cylinder impression it will take up to a 5" barrel, maybe only a 4 3/4" barrel. No markings or stamps anywhere on it. Thanks for the help.

You might be overthinking this one, yet everything you say is accurate. The style is generally called a Mexican Loop. Yes, the strap has been added; several clues there. That suggests that the male half was added, too. The finish? Just the way the tannery completed it, I expect. The drain hole would be a maker's choice. It's machine sewn so early 20th century. Is it an N frame? You'll work it out and the 44 frame Smiths were certainly common enough in that era; barrel length is EASY for you to determine in advance because you have not only the external marks for the cylinder but for the muzzle, too :). Not valuable. That it's unmarked by its maker suggests that it was made for resale in what were called 'hardware stores' and in fact were gun stores.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the info Red. It is different finish, from what I am use to seeing; prompted my questions.
I remeasured the length and it looks like it would take a 5 1/2" barrel. Regards.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Thanks for the info Red. It is different finish, from what I am use to seeing; prompted my questions.
I remeasured the length and it looks like it would take a 5 1/2" barrel. Regards.
Very good :). You and I are used to seeing cowhide holsters with what's called an 'aniline finish' -- so a bare finish and without any 'correction' (light sanding) of the grain to make it look 'better' -- whereas this one of yours is painted. A very common process on chrome tanned leather specifically for garments and upholstery, and far less so on veg cowhide (and vice versa). A light sand (they call it buffing) and a spray increases the yield from a side or other cut; and also provides a waterproof seal (it's also found on the backside of the leather yet is different from what's called 'pasting' which is nearly invisible).

A 'painted' chrome tanned leather is thin and the surface is so incredibly tough. I've a big cattle dog who weighs above 100 pounds and has giant feet and claws to match; she is welcome to jump on and off the big leather sofa because THAT leather she can't even scratch :).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts