Colt Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I used to be heavily into watch forums 10-20 years ago. Same discussions there regarding what you get for your money. People would knock Rolex (easy brand to pick on) because of their seeming lack of innovation (among other things), such as using the same design bracelet for eons that was made from stamped steel, where other makers (Omega for instance) was making their bracelets from milled steel. The gist is this, people buy what pleases them. Some folks swore by Rolex and paid the going rate, while others thought Rolex was overpriced. Thing is, you can usually get your money back later on if you decide to sell the Rolex, maybe not so much for other brands. Same thought process for Colt. Buy what pleases you. Just my humble opinion. Thanks hearsedriver for this thread. Interesting discussion.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
The guns they turn out are a fantastic bargain, and they are excellent firearms.
This ⬆ ⬆ ⬆ Uberti makes quality guns at an affordable price.
And this ⬇⬇⬇ Uberti makes the guns that many of us could only hope to own and we can actually shoot them without risking a 4-5 figure investment.

It allows me to shoot guns like an Open Top without using my original.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I don't think anyone will argue the resale value of a Colt vs. almost any brand of clone, but that's not the premise of the thread. I wholeheartedly agree that Colts command a premium, and I have willingly paid a premium for Colts over other brands (and that applies to SAAs, 1911s, and AR-15s, of which I own almost 20 combined). But I also recognize that there are other brands of all three that are at least of equal quality and utility.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
... I also agree with many of the arguments here about the aura and history of a real Colt SAA being unparalleled, or I wouldn't have bought the Colts I have.
What aura and history is there to a 3rd gen SAA?

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
The cost of a 2nd Gen SAA in 1955 was $125.

Adjusted for inflation, that same gun would be $1235 today.

I don't think Colt's MSRP is out of line in an historical context.
So..todays MSRP for a new Colt SAA starts at $1799.00. How is that not out of line with inflation? What am I missing ?

Reactions: Monsai52

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
I was not saying fascist. That was long ago. They have, among a myriad of piublic-funded services, a national health system. That is not exactly capitalist.

Anyway, labor in Italy is costly. Labor in the northern US is apparently much more costly.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I own Colt SAAs because I like Colts, always have. But I also like to shoot black powder in .45 Colt and 44-40. I refuse to shoot black powder in my Colts. I also refuse to use black powder substitutes. I have a nickel Uberti SAA in 44-40 and a Uberti 1875 Remington in 45 Colt to shoot my black powder rounds in. This the only reason I own the two Uberti.

·
Registered
6,582 Posts
So..todays MSRP for a new Colt SAA starts at $1799.00. How is that not out of line with inflation? What am I missing ?
Profit. Prices don't only rise to keep pace with inflation.

How does the price of an Uberti today compare with the price 20 years ago?

·
Registered
533 Posts
So..todays MSRP for a new Colt SAA starts at $1799.00.
A little economics 101

You're thinking of a product that is highly commoditized. 100 years ago revolvers were highly commoditized, so most makers were selling based on their cost, plus profit; and that's how they calculate price. That's how the self defense auto pistol market works today (mostly), but it's not how the revolver market works.

For less commoditized products that are for enthusiasts and collectors, there are different economic factors. Therefore pricing is based on what is termed "what the market will bear". $1,799.00 is at least $100 under what the market will bear, because I don't know anyone who has recently bought a brand new SAA for under $1,900. New ones typically go for $1,900-$2,200.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts