Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all. For those who have been fortunate enough to own or physically hold a unique Colt Python, what was it and what was its story?

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
The first one I ever shot. It was won in a shooting competition by an Army Lieutenant I knew. Put six rounds through a beer can out in the desert, he wouldn’t let me shoot it again after that. Didn’t shoot another one for over thirty years.

·
Registered
467 Posts
The most stunning Pythons I've ever held were a Snake Eyes set that consisted of two 2.5" Pythons, one beautifully blued, the other with a mirror-like bright stainless finish. Outstanding workmanship, especially for guns produced during the Colt strike of the late 1980s.

·
Registered
888 Posts
There are two Pythons for me. A local acquaintance owns both. Ive made him very aware that he can call me any time when he’s ready to sell. But he’s a very wealthy single man not much older than me who has a collection way bigger than mine and he has zero reasons to sell.
The first one.....I won’t say the serial number of his Python but it’s less than #30.
The second one is a Python Stalker.
Also, he has a 5” Anaconda that he knows I want.

Another Python that I’d like to have is owned by my cousin and he might be selling it to me soon. He is not a gun guy and it holds no sentimental value to him whatsoever. It was his dads (my uncle) and he passed away a few years ago. He carried it in Vietnam. There are pictures of him holding it while he was there. And carried it everywhere he went until he passed away.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are two Pythons for me. A local acquaintance owns both. Ive made him very aware that he can call me any time when he’s ready to sell. But he’s a very wealthy single man not much older than me who has a collection way bigger than mine and he has zero reasons to sell.
The first one.....I won’t say the serial number of his Python but it’s less than #30.
The second one is a Python Stalker.
Also, he has a 5” Anaconda that he knows I want.

Another Python that I’d like to have is owned by my cousin and he might be selling it to me soon. He is not a gun guy and it holds no sentimental value to him whatsoever. It was his dads (my uncle) and he passed away a few years ago. He carried it in Vietnam. There are pictures of him holding it while he was there. And carried it everywhere he went until he passed away.
Wow, carrying a Python in Vietnam?! Wow!!

·
Registered
448 Posts
During what seems in retrospect to be the peak Python pricing period (about 4-5 years ago) a local shop took in a Python Target in .38 Special. I looked it over, and while it hadn't been priced yet I didn't bother to ask. Not as exciting as the truly odd stuff I suppose, but wow was it nice.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I simply had a look at it , as "inspected" is too big a word, I mean it was a 1955 COLT Python, one of the very first made, unfortunately it wasn't mine.

Reactions: TexanGunsmith

·
Registered
63 Posts
For me it was the very first centerfire handgun I ever shot and only the second handgun I had ever shot. I was in New Mexico (where I now live) with my wife, visiting her parents for the first time. Her dad was good friends with the local Sheriff, who came by for a visit while we were there. He had a new Python, which he had just bought, we walked out back of the house to try it out. My father-in-law set up several empty 12 ga. shotgun shells on the ground and we walked back about 10 yards. They both shot a cylinder full of 38 Sp. through it, each of them hittin a couple of the shotgun shells. Bob, the Sheriff, asked me if I wanted to shoot it. I was hesitant because of my inexperience but I tried it anyway. I knocked down 2 shotshells out of 6 shots and he said "You're a natural with a handgun!" That started my love affair with guns, handguns and Pythons in particular. I later moved to New Mexico and had a career in law enforcement, carrying my own Python on duty for 3 years before transitioning to a Govt. Model 45ACP.

·
Registered
57 Posts
For me it was my 1st, royal blue 76 6”. I’ll never let it go, was even more memorable when the seller found the box with all the original papers inside.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My Lew Horton Combat Python. Saw it on display at SHOT and ordered one when I got home. Only problem, only Python I ever owned that was inaccurate! Beautiful revolver.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Mine is an early 4 digit python that had its 6 inch barrel replaced with a 4 inch, its butt frame cut to fit a set of Fuzzy’s.....owned by a LA County sheriff....it’s what they did to them back then.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The most stunning Pythons I've ever held were a Snake Eyes set that consisted of two 2.5" Pythons, one beautifully blued, the other with a mirror-like bright stainless finish. Outstanding workmanship, especially for guns produced during the Colt strike of the late 1980s.
Wait, there was another strike, in the 80s??

·
Registered
Colt SAA, Usfa SA, Std Mfg SA.
1,395 Posts
Memorable:

The 4 inch blued 1965 I used to own but had to sell in 1995

Unique:

The 4 inch blued 1962 I just bought to replace it.
Police issued. Unique because it's mine and last time I checked there was only 1 of me.
20201127_124157.jpg
20201127_124614.jpg
20201127_124343.jpg

1 - 20 of 25 Posts