Colt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11,007 Posts
As I grow older I can afford a little more and I would love to get an opinion on Best Colt 1911 for Carry most anytime.
I noted a few great comments and suggestions. Lots of good choices these days.

Best 1911 for carry. There is a rabbit hole for sure ;) Sadly much as I like and shoot Colt 1911s, nothing they make currently is even in the ballpark as a "good" let alone "best" 1911" IMO.

A good many of the best Commander size guns these days are built with either a titanium insert in the frame (Ruger) to eliminate the aluminum ramp of a 1911 getting dinged up, or better yet a ramped barrel which also totally eliminated the problem of an aluminum frame and reliability issues. Dan Wesson, Kimber and Ruger all offer ramped barrels in aluminum framed 1911s of various sizes.

Dan Wesson the most expensive and arguably the "best" of those I have listed. They are also exceptional values for the $ involved. As are Kimber and Ruger at their own price points.

Pretty much any 1911 under a 4" barrel will be finicky. If you stay at 4" or above reliability isn't an issue on a quality 1911. You can pretty much find a price point you are comfortable with and start shooting.

Couple of my favorites, all with aluminum frames and ramped barrels or a Ti insert in the frame ramp.

Ruger Ti insert on a LWT 45.
Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tread Bicycle part

Unramped (traditional Colt) and 2 versions of the ramped barrels. Dan Wesson uses the P/C ramp. Kimber the W/N ramp.
Gas Automotive exhaust Personal protective equipment Nickel Metal

ramped and un-ramped
Bicycle part Office supplies Engineering Electric blue Metal

Dan Wesson Eco. Great little gun with a 3.5" barrel. Light and an easy to carry over all size. 9 rounds of 9mm or 38 Super. 7 rounds of 45.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Everyday carry Bullet

Slightly modified Ruger LWT Commander size guns..in 9mm or 38 Super with 11 rounds or 45acp with 9 rounds.

Kimber LWT 5" 1911, available in 45, 38 Super and 9mm. Outstanding guns for the money IMO. And sometimes easier/more comfortable to carry than a smaller 1911 if you use an IWB. The 45 version does not have a ramped barrel or an insert however.
Font Trigger Engineering Gun barrel Gun accessory

Top to bottom. Top gun is a custom steel frame 1911. Middle gun is a Ruger LWT Commander size gun. The bottom gun is a Kimber LWT.
Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel Everyday carry

·
Registered
11,007 Posts
If I had to live with just one gun, it would be a 1911. A 1911 has always been my first choice, but which 1911 I would choose has changed over time. The gun I'd choose today is a slightly modified, Ruger LWT, in 45. Ejector tube is built integral with the frame, front strap is serrated, and a titanium insert replaces the aluminum ramp, while still using a traditional style 4.25" Commander style barrel. Novak style sights, a decent thumb and grip safety all come on the gun from the factory. When these guns were first available in the Fall of 2015, they were under $700. locally. How times have changed!

Ruger SR1911 Lightweight Commander, .45 ACP, Mint - Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com : 921187485
Watch Black Everyday carry Material property Gun accessory

1 - 2 of 2 Posts