Colt Forum banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I'm not going to ask how anyone would conceal a 6" Python... it sounds that would go into the category of TMI. :eek:
Try in a shoulder holster under a coat. I have that set-up for a 5 1/2 inch New Service.

Reactions: WVCOLT and deem

·
Registered
282 Posts
Wow, that’s lotta different options. Which I think is awesome. One reason I ask is I’ve more recently, as I get a little older, have realized it’s better to buy something of quality than just to have anything I can afford. As I grow older I can afford a little more and I would love to get an opinion on Best Colt 1911 for Carry most anytime. Preferably something that won’t break the bank too much. Although I am digging the 6 inch python idea :)
I would recommend a combat commander for a CCW Colt 1911. Although I own a Defender, I have found some shortcomings over the years. First and foremost, they are known to be a finicky design. The lightened slide increases the cycle rate which can lead to problems unless it is tweaked just right. I’ve replaced magazines and the extractor to get everything perfectly balanced, other members have experienced similar problems. Another problem is the aluminum frame. It can lose its finish more easily, crack, and get dents in the feed ramp when using hollow points. The commander is generally thought to be the shortest colt 1911 that can run reliably. The combat commander is the steel framed version and should be the best for overall reliability and durability. It is bigger and heavier to carry but still much more manageable than a government model. I think it is the perfect sweet spot, that’s why I have started to make the switch. Just my two cents

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I would recommend a combat commander for a CCW Colt 1911. Although I own a Defender, I have found some shortcomings over the years. First and foremost, they are known to be a finicky design. The lightened slide increases the cycle rate which can lead to problems unless it is tweaked just right. I’ve replaced magazines and the extractor to get everything perfectly balanced, other members have experienced similar problems. Another problem is the aluminum frame. It can lose its finish more easily, crack, and get dents in the feed ramp when using hollow points. The commander is generally thought to be the shortest colt 1911 that can run reliably. The combat commander is the steel framed version and should be the best for overall reliability and durability. It is bigger and heavier to carry but still much more manageable than a government model. I think it is the perfect sweet spot, that’s why I have started to make the switch. Just my two cents
I appreciate that insight. Just by my own preferences I would have probably leaned more towards the defender. But this is why I asked the question to those who know best. I think I will take your advice. Thank you

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Tar and Feather me but I've carried a S&W Shield 9mm for years now. Easy to shoot well, with a very slim carry profile (in front waistband holster). It just works for me better than anything I have carried over the years.
Ha ha, I can’t lie I owned a shield and carried one for a while. It is the one gun I got rid of and ended up regretting it. But Two years later I got a hellcat.

·
Registered
173 Posts
For me it came down to ergonomics , Hellcat VS Sig 365 .
My choice after handling & shooting both was the Sig .... it was very close though.
I prefer the feel of the Sig in hand and the Sig trigger, that tipped the scale.
I use the 12 rd. Mags
Wood Flooring Font Personal protective equipment Tints and shades
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood stain

·
Premium Member
Colt Model Ms and and 1st gen SAA
44 Posts
Just received my CCW in the mail today...in California of all places! Orange County is VERY friendly for CCW applicants
My EDC is a Sig P365 but i listed MANY others depending on weather/clothes/operation.
Here are the rest on my list..OCSD definitely had questions for me hahaha

Sig P320
Sig P220
HK USP 40
Glock 19
Clock 33
Desert Eagle 50AE
Ruger 57
and the best for last
Colt 1908 25ACP
Colt 1911 WWII Service Pistol...just because Freedom

·
Registered
371 Posts
One of several five-inch government model 1911s in either .45 ACP or 10mm plus a Sig P938 9mm in my pocket.

Glove Wood Handgun holster Fashion accessory Hardwood

·
Premium Member
5,413 Posts
Ruger LCR .38...hope I never need it!
My daughter-in-law carries this same Ruger. She’s loves it as does my son. I too hope neither has to use it. 👍👍

·
Registered
1884 SAA, 1944 USGI M1911A1, 1967 Python (4" Nickel), 1968 Agent (Blue)
121 Posts
I love seeing all of the different choices everyone has made. It just goes to show you that there isn't just one gun that is right for everyone. I tell my students that all the time. Don't buy something because someone else told you to. Buy what is right and works best for you. A gun is a very personal thing and we all have different size hands.

I will also put in my 2 cents on having a "rotation" for carry. I always tell my students to be careful about this. If, God forbid, you ever find yourself in a self-defence situation, you are absolutely not going to be as calm and collected as you think you are going to be. You will be under a lot of stress. I don't care how much training you have had. I promise you you won't. You don't want to get confused about what gun from the rotation you grabbed or which holster location you decided to go with this morning. I always advise students to pick one gun and one carry location. It will save you precious seconds when you need them most. Again, just my 2 cents as an instructor.

For me, when I carry concealed, I carry a HK P30SK. I love the ergonomics of it. It just feels so good in my hand. Not too big but not too small either.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Kimber Micro 9, with lazergrip, or SP101 .357. I also agree wholeheartedly with NickT on selectivity. Interesting to see all the various choices. If you cannot "gitter done" with 4 or 5, you are in serious trouble.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts