Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I won't deny I had a similar amount of concern that I typically have when I have shot my damascus barreled parkers for the 1st time, but I couldn't resist letting this 1883 44WCF bark a few times with some black powder rounds from Buffalo Arms.

Lots of smoke and a big bang. Now I just need some advice as to cleaning the small amount of black powder residue?

I know one person who used to claim he ran his BP guns through the dishwasher, but I don't think I am going to do that.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I won't deny I had a similar amount of concern that I typically have when I have shot my damascus barreled parkers for the 1st time, but I couldn't resist letting this 1883 44WCF bark a few times with some black powder rounds from Buffalo Arms.

Lots of smoke and a big bang. Now I just need some advice as to cleaning the small amount of black powder residue?

I know one person who used to claim he ran his BP guns through the dishwasher, but I don't think I am going to do that.

If I put a colt in the dishwasher, I would be less afraid for the gun and more afraid of what my wife would do to me.

As for cleanup, it's really easy. Hot soapy water to flush out the fouling, brush, wipe, and then lube liberally with ballistol. You'll be good to go. Stay away from the petroleum based lubes if you plan to shoot it in the future. That colt of yours definitely deserves to be shot. Well done

·
Premium Member
20,535 Posts
After washing a guns with soap and water, remember that the WD in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement. A good soaking with WD-40 is a good follow-on after the rinse cycle.

·
Registered
961 Posts
The air dry is always good but the Ballistol is the way to go after.

Cool vids. I couldn’t tell what you were aiming at there, cowboy.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wasn't really aiming. Mostly pulling trigger and hoping everything functioned properly with a hillside for a backstop.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Mike Beliveau (Duelist1954) uses non-aerosol Ballistol, 10 parts water to one part Ballistol. Hickok45 uses aerosol Ballistol- lots of it.

·
Registered
11,360 Posts
Agree with Ph1. Hot soapy water removes blackpowder residue better than anything else. The soap doesn't do anything but act as a wetting agent. Rinse in hot water and the water quickly evaporates, then use your favorite preservative oil.

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
Pull the cylinder, base pin and bushing.

Wet down cotton patches with windex with vinegar cut with distilled water, 50/50.

Swab out the bore and each chamber till clean.

Wipe off inside of frame and cylinder, base pin, bushing, and anywhere there is B.P. residue.

Wipe the gun down with Balistol and give the bore and chambers a good coating followed with a dry patch to remove excess.

Clean the internals once a year and lube properly.

Do not put the firearm in a dishwasher.:bang_wall:

But then after many thousands of B.P. rounds down range in dozens of firearms what do I know.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have been shooting BP firearms for about sixty years. Always used water, sometimes soapy, but not always. Either will work. Then real petroleum based lubes like Hoppe's, Outers, 3 in 1, English A.J. Parker, and Young's .303, etc. As a kid I even used 30 weight motor oil.They all work. Never had rust. I don't know why the caution about not using petroleum base oils. In percussion and cartridge revolvers, the actions are liberally coated with Rig grease. All kinds of crap is deposited in the innards of percussion revolvers when they're shot. The Rig keeps the stuff soft and the gun functioning between stripping and complete cleanings.

There is no absolute single way to do anything when it comes to shooting. Some people will swear that the way they do it is really the only correct way to do it. BS. What works is the way to just about any given chore and there are usually many different ways that accomplish that end.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts