Colt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can anyone identify these old Stocks for me?

I am not up on the 'counting the rows' and or knowing the who's was who's in various details to know what these would have originally been on.

Material property Finger Fashion accessory Finger Brown Nail Hand Thumb Finger Hand Nail Thumb

Do these show 7 'rows' between the Diamonds? Or am I counting incorrectly?

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The one on the right is darker and more fine grained Walnut...and virtually un-worn ( but for a small bruise upper right, next to the Diamond ).

The one on the left shows some wear and contusions and is a lighter color.

Possibly these did not begin Life together..?

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So...what .45 Automatic do these co-respond with?

Colt? And if so, then, Gov't Model or m1911?

Springfield Armory?

Some WWI Contractor?

Aftermarket?

Or..?

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
So...what .45 Automatic do these co-respond with?

Colt? And if so, then, Gov't Model or m1911?

Springfield Armory?

Some WWI Contractor?

Aftermarket?

Or..?
Hard to tell from the pictures but I think they are most likely mismatched Colt stocks for either an M1911 or a Govt Model from the 1910s or 1920's. Colt used the same wood on military and commercial guns.

Regards,
Kevin Williams

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hard to tell from the pictures but I think they are most likely mismatched Colt stocks for either an M1911 or a Govt Model from the 1910s or 1920's. Colt used the same wood on military and commercial guns.

Regards,
Kevin Williams

If they were correct for a circa 1914 Gov't Model, that would be fine with me...I have one which needs some Stocks.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
It's kind of odd that this has become the "standard" for collectors to tell the difference between makers of stocks. I guess it started because that is the way Clawson reported it. But I believe woodworkers/stockmakers generally use lines per inch (LPI) as the standard, which is easier to count. Do we have any checkering experts that can confirm this?

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
If I count the 'rows' I do not get a count which agrees with those who count the Furrows.
That would be correct, but don't worry about the furrows. The rows are counted just as bofg shows.

As to the LPI, a set of Colt grips with 15 rows could have the same LPI as a set of Springfield with 11 rows. The diamonds around the screw holes are larger on the Springfield, thus less rows of checkering between the diamonds. The LPI indicates how fine or coarse the checkering is.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts