Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Colt being represented as a Lend Lease Commando on Gunbroker is such a mess I don't know whether it can be sorted out what's going on with it. It has a post-war Commando barrel...serial number and markings on the frame from around 1910...probably an Army Special frame...much earlier stocks...ejector rod far too long for the short barrel...probably the original rod for the frame and cylinder...smooth trigger (possibly a correct trigger for a Commando)...British marks which may be post-war commercial but I'm not up on that...and who knows what else is wrong with the gun.

It's hard to believe people are actually bidding on this mess of a Colt.

Colt Commando?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
With the smooth rounded topstrap and narrow rear sight notch, this was surely an Army Special when manufactured. As such, it would also have has a smooth trigger, but not that ejector rod tip. Serial number is WAY too high for a Commando as well.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Calling that a "mess" is being benevolent. I'm going to watch it just for the entertainment factor.

Reactions: WinstonWolfe

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
A TOTAL mess. It should also have a half-moon front sight. The barrel is an obvious Post-War replacement...

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I messaged them as soon as the listing popped up. It is clearly a 1911 Army Special frame. The dealer is local to me and honest, but on the road a lot and not very internet savvy. The girl that does online stuff for him does not know guns. I can’t imagine how this got written up this way, but I am sure the FFL will change it when he can. She said that she will forward my email to him. Hopefully people are smart enough to know.

Looks like they updated the description based on my email.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,043 Posts
That is rather trippy.

The British proof marks, in the cylinder flutes and one on the frame in front, are old-style London proofhouse definite proof (GP under crown) and view marks (V under crown). They are pre-1925.

So frame and cylinder, and stocks, likely belong together originally. A WW I connection is not unreasonable to assume unless it was just a commercial import.

The barrel is one of the post-war Commando barrels that were used to officially convert a batch of 4” Commandos, I believe at the factory. So this rebuild definitely happened here in the US in the 1950s or later.

So the gun is really not much of a mess. Everything is good, except someone put a different barrel and rod tip on it that makes it look ridiculous ;)

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
That is rather trippy.

The British proof marks, in the cylinder flutes and one on the frame in front, are old-style London proofhouse definite proof (GP under crown) and view marks (V under crown). They are pre-1925.

So frame and cylinder, and stocks, likely belong together originally. A WW I connection is not unreasonable to assume unless it was just a commercial import.

The barrel is one of the post-war Commando barrels that were used to officially convert a batch of 4” Commandos, I believe at the factory. So this rebuild definitely happened here in the US in the 1950s or later.

So the gun is really not much of a mess. Everything is good, except someone put a different barrel and rod tip on it that makes it look ridiculous ;)
They also parkerized it, since the original 1911 gun did not look like that.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Someone stuck a surplus 2" barrel on the Army Special frame, and an instant collectible. To the best of my knowledge there were no Lend-Lease Commandos of any barrel length.
It’s not a Commando serial which should be the first red flag. Stylized C over pony and grips would be second.

·
Premium Member
2,043 Posts
They also parkerized it, since the original 1911 gun did not look like that.
I’m not sure that’s parkerizing. It looks more like totally degraded original finish with just remnants of brown patina.

To the best of my knowledge there were no Lend-Lease Commandos of any barrel length.
Indeed, not directly like the Victory and 1911. The US Maritime Commission got a limited quantity of Commandos, so some did end up in the gun lockers of Liberty ships provided to the British under Lend-lease. I think I remember seeing a Commando with British post-war proof once which could be thus explained.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
That might have been an interesting winter project gun to make a shooter at $350.
Right now it's at $500 with a day and a half to go. It would still make an interesting project but not $500+ interesting...to me anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
$882 with 12 hours left...Hurry! You may never get another chance to obtain something like this! ;)

·
Registered
757 Posts
I am impressed by that girl (WinstonWolfe mentions) who wrote this description. She will probably be a great name in politics soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts