Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am surprised to see that there is no thread section concerning Colt derringers in this forum (or must I change my glasses ?). Alltogether, the n° 1-2-3 derringers produced by the National Arms Company (bought by Colt in 1870) and by Colt were produced in more than 60,000 units between 1863 and 1912 ! For my part, I love these little guns !

Below, from left to right : National Arms Co n° 1 derringer (The Colt model had a steel frame) - Colt derringer n° 2 and Colt derringer n° 3 (or Colt Thuer)

Derringer National Arms droit.jpg Colt derringer droite.jpg Colt Thuer 3 droit.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
I keep a Colt 22 short (number 4?) in my sunroom loaded with a blank to scare off unwanted animals in my rural subdivision. Came close to adding a 41 Colt number 3 and missed out that it sold for $350. My plan was to order from Dixie the brass cases that accept a 22 blank and of course reload and shoot it. Have you shot any of yours?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I have always liked these little derringer's, they look so neat in a small wooden box like Calibre 38 has his, I'm working on one now for display with some vintage dice and a card deck to go with my Remington derringer, anyone else have one with the old west gamblers item's and small gun in a case ?...any pic's ? Thanks

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Colt derringers, a worthy subject. I've had them all, including Colt's crown jewel, the pot metal copy of the little #3 that came out in the '60s. Unfortunately I let them escape ----->

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I keep a Colt 22 short (number 4?) in my sunroom loaded with a blank to scare off unwanted animals in my rural subdivision. Came close to adding a 41 Colt number 3 and missed out that it sold for $350. My plan was to order from Dixie the brass cases that accept a 22 blank and of course reload and shoot it. Have you shot any of yours?
No, I've never shot anyone of my antique guns. I prefer to shoot with repros when they are available and not take any risk with my antiques.

·
Administrator
7,290 Posts
Great thread topic .
We don't really have an actual subforum for this category . Maybe we'll add one called "All other Colt's" or something similar ?

I don't have a Colt but do have the Sharps .22 cal .

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Very nice derringer guy, I'm new to the little gun's, I knew Sharps made some fine weapon's but did not know they made derringer's. still trying to learn. your derringer as good as it look's would look great in a nice box.
When I look at a derringer of any kind I think of the gambler's on a paddle wheel boat on the Mississippi river during the Mark Twain era.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Cartridge derringers is a subject close to my heart. I have bought, collected, studied and sold these guns for the last twenty years or so. Most recent sale (I'm clearing out) was a Remington Elliott 4-barrel yesterday at a gun show. I have owned many of the makes over the years but one or two have eluded me for one reason or another (usually price!).
I spent some times years ago concentrating on the Colt o. 3, documenting the variations. Then my late Colt guru showed me an article in Man at Arms where the author was doing exactly the same thing. I wrote to the guy care of the magazine and got a reply from England! I have since met this author (Rex Pope) on many occasions at gun shows and shared my study with him. In a follow up article some months later he thanked me in print, along with others who had helped. Seeing my name in a magazine encouraged me to pen my first piece - on the Colt New Frontier - which was published in 1996. I sat on my laurels for three years before submitting my next offering on cartridge derringers. I've done it more or less continuously since then and I still enjoy doing it to this day.

Rio

Attachments

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
American Arms Co. double barrel - both .41 rimfire (this pistol was stolen from my table at a gun show some years ago. serial No. 47 if you come across it).

Remington split breech in .41 rimfire.

Rio

Attachments

1 - 20 of 56 Posts