Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have a chance to get a Colt called the Model 357 Magnum from a friend of mine, He says they were made in the '50's. It is not a collector by any means, it's been shot and carried and has a four inch barrel. It has adjustable sights and wooden grips, but no box or papers and that's ok with me because I just want something to take along to the range when I take other guns just to shoot it. I don't think I have seen one of these before and was just wondering if it is a good gun for plinking once in awhile. Any ideas on value ? Is $500 out of line ? Thanks to all that can help me make a decision. RRM

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
It's a tank tough revolver.If treated right they will give decades of service,shoot it a lot and clean it a lot.It was the lead in to the Trooper and Trooper MKIII.Based on your description the price doesn't seem out of line.D*

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
$500 is not out of line. There are actually quite a few threads on the forum asking the same question, but they are a bit hard to search for because the search engine will not use 357 as a target. Colt cataloged them as the Three-Fifty-Seven and that is mentioned in a number of the threads, so a search on three fifty seven will turn some up. This is the most recent: http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-revolvers/49628-colt-model-357-help-needed.html :cool:

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
It's a tank tough revolver.If treated right they will give decades of service,shoot it a lot and clean it a lot.It was the lead in to the Trooper and Trooper MKIII.Based on your description the price doesn't seem out of line.D*
The Model 357 was actually the first I frame and a premium model and therefore therefore actually the lead in to the Python. The Trooper 357 was a follow up down-play and the Trooper MkIII is a totally different animal except for the unfortunate reuse of the name. :)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I would gladly peel off five Benjamins for that revolver. I aquired my first 3 5 7 about a month ago. It has the service stocks and narrow hammer. Now I need one like the one you pictured. I shot it along with my two Pythons. Although it was not a silky smooth in double action, it was as accurate if not a touch better. If you pick that one up be careful as you will only want more...:)

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Well Ratzo, it would take a lot more that five Benjamins to separate me from this one. It's in a little better than decent shape.

I bought this one because I sold my Trooper 357 in a moment of weakness and regreted it. I have not shot it yet but I have no doubt that it will shoot as well, if not better than my old work horse.

If it helps any with price, I sold this well worn, re blued 1968 Trooper 357 for $350.

The guy I sold it to flipped it a week later for $500.

There is a demand for these guns, at least in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Thanks to A1A for correcting my errors.D*

·
Registered
119 Posts
I paid $735 for a very nice Model 357 a while ago and was worried about having paid too much. Based on the discussion in this thread, it was a decent buy: http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-revolvers/42127-6-model-357-overpaid.html

Mine has the best timing, tightest action, and best trigger of 4 Colt revolvers.

If I saw one for $500 and it was mechanically sound, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. However, condition is extremely important for valuation so keep in mind that NONE of us has seen the OP's 357.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
RRM go for it, you would not be doing bad at all with a Python predecessor in 357 for $500.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you one and all. I appreciate you opinions and views. I think I may get a hold of my buddy and take an even closer look at his revolver. Thanks. RRM

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
If the mechanics check out I would buy it.. I have a few and never hit the range without one in the bag.. Terrific shooters.

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
I picked this one up a few weeks back. I think I got a pretty good deal at $625. It also dates to 1957...

Colt357.jpg

Reactions: Collects

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Mighty fine guys. I hope there are some finds as fine as these still on the market?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
As a fan of "relaxed" Colts, I picked up this "relaxed" 3-5-7 a couple years ago for $325. This apparently was an early one from the first year (first month?) of production in 1954, serial number 869. Has early two-tone finish. Outstanding action, very similar in feel to a 4" Python I have that was made in 1960.

I have to say I really don't care for the looks of the 3-5-7 model, or the various Troopers for that matter, but in terms of technical quality and performance, the 3-5-7 is very close if not equal to the Python. I think it was billed as Colt's top-of-the-line revolver when it was introduced. I think it is still a real "sleeper" among double action revolvers, where you can still really get alot of top quality gun for your money.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
These guns are sleepers,,, one of the best values there are in the Colt DA world. One day these guns will catch fire, and that day will come. Then everyone will say, man I can remember when you could buy those old 3 5 7's for a little of nothin. You know, like we do now on Pythons and Diamondbacks. You have no excuse not to find a nice one for your collection while you still can. I own two of these myself and thats not near enough. One of the most if not the most underated, overlooked, undervalued modern Colt double action revolvers out there. Why ?? I think its because of the lack of publication and awareness of these guns. How many times have you mentioned a Colt 3-5-7 and someone looks at you like what kind of gun are you talking about ?? You can mention this model in a circle of Colt people and you will be amazed at how many people have never seen or heard of one. All it will take is for somebody to write and publish a couple in depth articles on this particular gun and finally get the 3-5-7 out front and center and then just watch,,,,,the race is on. The 3-5-7 is a very important firearm for all who love modern DA Colts. The 3-5-7 is like the ugly girl in school that nobody ever paid much attention to that eventually shows up at the 20 year reunion looking like Miss America. Sometimes it takes years to see what we overlooked.

John Fugate

1 - 20 of 28 Posts