Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,718 Posts
I like the New Service but one of those (RNWMP) in not quite as nice shape was for sale for under 1K recently. That’s about a 1K to 1200 gun without the markings. You have to decide if the Canadian markings double the price for you, the buyer. 45 colt appears to be the most common caliber other than 45 acp in 1917 revolvers, so many are available.

·
Registered
353 Posts
His stuff runs high, but they get nice pieces too. Is that price Canadian dollars? Keep that in mind.
You will see far less action on Canadian sites lately as we all wait to see if we will be told to have the Guv "buy back" all our hand guns.
No one selling.
I have seen an RCMP New Service, with letter, up for $2000 Can and its 455 calibre. It's sat for a month now at least.

·
Premium Member
5,718 Posts
The other issue I question with the above new service is it has a shoulder barrel, meaning it gets wider where it crews into the frame. That first started with the 1917 us revolvers. So while that could have included this example built in 1917, the front sight appears wider for the later patridge sight picture and would be correct for a gun with a square rear notch, this gun appears to still have the V notch intended for a thin blade front sight.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
The other issue I question with the above new service is it has a shoulder barrel, meaning it get wider where it crews into the frame. That first started with the 1917 us revolvers. So while that could have included this example built in 1917, the front sight appears wider for the later patridge sight picture and would be correct for a gun with a square rear notch, this gun appears to still have the V notch intended for a thin blade front sight.
You beat me to it! I agree completely.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
smkummer and up196, are saying that the photos make it look like the sides of the front sight blade are vertical, which would correspond to a square rear notch? I do not think the front blade seems to have vertical sides, but I do not know how much the sides should taper. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
5,718 Posts
Update to this post. Chapter IV of Bob Murphy’s New Service Revolvers booklet describes revolvers in the 143,000-149,000 were post war (WW1) production and included the new taper barrel and specifically shows an order for 250 RNWMP markings with more included in the group. So it appears the gun is correctly configured.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Gentlemen, What's the consensus re the 'Mountie markings', a positive adding to value or negative & not! If so, how much +/-? For me, I'd much rather invest in cleaner specimen NS than pay any such premium. Here in SoCal, often such guns nowadays, consignment items sitting as long as convenient shelf space and "unmotivated seller" holding out.
Personally, "I 'resemble' that remark!" :)
Inquiring minds!
Best!
John

·
Premium Member
5,718 Posts
Iskra, if no one responds, I would recommend checking completed auctions at gunbroker or elsewhere to see what someone has paid for one. That truly is the best updated price guide, especially if one can see final pricing of a couple of examples.

There are collectors for “issued” guns with marking. It often comes down to supply vs demand. In my opinion, the markings don’t devalue to most the gun as it gives it history, but with that said, there will be a small amount that don’t like markings or Canada and would sneer at the gun. The seller of this colt is hoping to find someone who love to add this colt to his collection and for whatever reason has a fondness for the RNWMP. He certainly can ask what he wants and will adjust the price accordingly if no one bites.
I just typed in Colt New Service into gunbroker and found a similar gun at about 1/3 the price that is getting bids. No Canadian markings, just a commercial NS in 45 colt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts